HELP!! PICTURES AND DESCRIPTION

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ara35

AC Members
Aug 10, 2006
So i got my co2 hooked up and have been dosing with liquid fertilizers as they are instructed. i am redoing my tank so i only have wisteria and ludwigia repens in there at the moment. the co2 is coming out of a diffuser and into the intake of a canister filter. now here are the problems...

1. i have algae on the tank glass on every side as shown in the picture.

2. the leaves of the ludwigia are no longer pearling even though a good amount of co2 is going into the tank.

3. i dont have a bubble counter but i did the ph/kh and got about 16 ppm.

4. the leaves dont seems to be growing and seem to have a nutrient deficiency.

please help!!! lights are on for 10 hours a day. here are the pictures.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
are you using ferts? cut lighting down to six to eight hours a day to help with algea. have co2 off when lights go off.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
your are going to see algae if your not doing enough water changes(too many nutrients) or too much light. My guess is both. I would add more plants to use the the extra nutrients, cut back on lighting, and up the water changes. Also is your tank cycled? I see what looks like could be some diatoms on the wisteria. As for the ludwigia, make sure you have good water flow around them and keep in mind the leaves at the base pictured are touching the ground and will naturally die off. If you feel like your going to lose the whole plant try just letting it float loose, when it starts to pick up try replanting it. Goodluck with the new setup, looks like it will turn out nicely

mmm_unit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
I would scrub down the glass walls and then I would throw a couple amano shrimp or nerite snails and have that clean up crew work it on the remaining algae. I had a pretty bad problem with a sheet type and hair algae, they are no longer a problem for me after my nerite and amano finished.

ara35

AC Members
Aug 10, 2006
are you using ferts?
yes. i am using liquid fertilizers, phosphorous, iron, potassium, trace and nitrogen.

your are going to see algae if your not doing enough water changes(too many nutrients) or too much light. My guess is both. I would add more plants to use the the extra nutrients, cut back on lighting, and up the water changes. Also is your tank cycled?
i have 2.5 watts/gallon out of t5ho bulbs. my tank is cycled. i was increasing the ferts because it looked like a defiency was going on with the wisteria. dark spots, see through spots... you can see it from the above shot.

they are no longer a problem for me after my nerite and amano finished.
where can i get these, and how many should i get for a 30 gallon??

thanks guys. anymore help/comments would be awesome!

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
nerites and amano shrimp dont fix an algae problem.

you have to much light and ferts on the tank right now. pack it with plants and the algae will be much much less. with barely any plants in the tank i wouldnt be dosing all those ferts on simple plant like wisteria that can grow with nothing in the water.

since your using
phosphorous, iron, potassium, trace and nitrogen.

you need flourish and excel the most right now. you really dont need iron or trace if you use the florish. i used trace for a year and quit using it with no differnce in plants or growth after a year of not using it. the pot and nit are good to use but arent needed until you get some plants in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store