Help Please... Problem with my Angel this morning..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
I noticed a problem with my one angel this morning... She's on her side at the top of the tank.. She was not like this yesterday... I have done some research and it might be swim bladder... I do feed dry flakes and small sinking pellets once every day, in the morning. One web site mentioned that this could cause a bloat problem for her.. I also have (2) redlines, (3) yoo-yoo loaches, (3) clown loaches, (2) gold fish, and (2) algae eaters. Everyone is pretty good sized, with the angel about full size.. I've had her for a couple of years now.. I did notice something at the base of her fin... Please see the pictures.. Not sure what it is.. I haven't had any problems with her before.... I hate seeing her this way... I did a test of the tank water: PH = 6, hi PH = < 7.4, Ammonia = .25, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 40-80.. I am doing a water change now.. Tank temp is 80 deg. No other fish are exhibiting any problems... Any ideas? Lori

angel pic 1.jpgangel pic 2.jpg

angel pic 1.jpg angel pic 2.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Any recent additions to the tank that could have brought in a parasite or such? 40-80ppm is pretty high for nitrates. Do you do weekly water changes?

Cute koi angel! I've got one in my 55.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
no new additions.... I have had her since her body was about the size of a quarter.. I have to confess I have been lax with my water changes recently... Some family problems... I did change my JEBO canister filter for the first time on 10/3/14.. It was filthy.. I read on several fish forums that charcoal is useless after a few weeks and not necessary in the filter.. I replaced it with some new floss.. There are (5) floss pads in this filter, and I replaced (2).. I rinsed the other (3) in a bucket of tank water, along with all of the ceramic media... I rinsed the filter housing with some tank water only... Put everything back together and all was well.. About a week later we had to spend 2 weeks out of town.. My step-son had specific instructions as to how to monitor the 60 GA tank and what to feed... Well, I lost 4 fish during that time.. He tested the tank water and texted me pics of the results. Everything looked ok except the nitrates were a bit hi... I lost my (2) biggest yoo-yoo loaches, one smaller red-line, and my last rosabora... The (2) gold fish are left over from my original tank cycling back in February.. I gave the biggest one away... These two will follow in spring, to get rid of them.. I know they will contribute to a dirty tank because of all their waste.. Could the tank have gone thru a mini cycle after cleaning the canister filter? I let it go for 8 months... It is one for a 100GA tank, but I will not let it go that long again.... Otherwise, I have no idea...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you use a liquid test kit like the API master test kit? If not, you really need one for basic tank maintenance and troublshooting to read for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Your issues could be caused by high nitrate concentration due to lack of water changes, dirty filters, over-feeding, etc.

Plus, I know goldfish will live in a heated tank, but they should be kept as cold water fish (no heater at all). It's said that when kept in a heated tank, they can contract and spread disease. I'd re-home or setup a cold water tank for the goldies.

To me, low nitrates is never reading higher than 20ppm, or never seeing red on your API nitrate test tube. You can adjust your stocking level or feed less to help slow the nitrate climb between water changes, but ultimately it's water changes that lower it.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
I use the liquid test kit... I am careful as to how much I feed, when I feed in the morning.. I feed only once a day... My 100GA tank canister has only 2 months on it from the last change.. I did a water change yesterday... I am going to test again today.... I will be giving the goldies away soon.. I did get a hanging breeding net to put into the tank, as I do not have a hospital tank... The angel is still alive, and I am going to try to give her some crushed peas to see if she will eat.. If not, I am not sure what to do.. Is it time to euthanize? I've had her 2 years... I know it sounds stupid, but I hate to do it.. I don't want her to suffer...

Lori

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store