help real quick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Originally posted by jafo
Give them the vinegar and magnet test. Put a few drops on the rocks, if you see any fizzing, don't use them. Also see if a magnet will stick. If it does, don't use it.
Just curious here... if a rock has metal in it, why would it be bad to put into the aquarium? I can understand rust, but not sure about why to avoid metal?

wetmanNY

AC Members
Are there really no rocks in North Dakota?

If you keep a big shovel in the trunk of your car, you can also find small evergreens in front of the savings bank.

Macdonald's landscapers will be scratching their heads come snowmelt next year, when they find that some of the rocks are missing!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
well....where would you guys get rocks....imagine a ten pound rock (I"m talking pretty good sized rocks here) at 1.99/#, that's 19 dollars for that rock, that is rediculous

should I get the rocks from a gravel supply place instead?

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
That's what I was going to suggest. You can probably get a large number of rocks at a gravel supply place for a good price.

I've gotten rocks there (not for aquarium use) and filled up the trunk of my car, several times, for next to nothing.

They're used to selling it by the ton to contractors filling up dumptrucks, so if they're willing to sell you a small amount they'll be really cheap.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
yes, wetman, that is what I want...but the only river in Fargo is more muddy than rocky

I will be in a city this christmas that has a rocky river...anyways...the rocks will likely be taken from shore where they will be muddy/slimy/mossy

should I give them the bleach treatment as well?

does anyone know if rust affects water chemistry and/or is dangerous to fish?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by wetmanNY
Are there really no rocks in North Dakota?

[/I]
...good one.. LOL
But, try and find a rock here in FL...

Last edited:

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I took a large backpack out into the woods. Twice. Came out with a hundred odd lbs of very nice rock, hand picked, uniform in color. I also found a great collection of nicely rounded streambeddy rocks in a drainage coming off a cornfield. Small to quite sizable, and again they all sort of match each other. (WARNING: this rock thing can go to far -- I now need to return a hundred lbs or so back to the wild).

I personally can't see the point in paying perfectly good money for a rock I can pick up off the ground. I'm going to assume ND has just as much ice age rubble strewn all over everything as NY. Terminal Moraine, baby. I would stay out of the garden at McDonalds, and anywhere else you might see a guy watering with a tank of blue chemicals attached to a hose. My farmer fertilizes with manure (dairy farm) and doesn't spray anything. Wilderness=good.

As far as the iron goes: I added laterite to my tank and my next one will most likely have a flourite substrate. These are used by a lot of the folks out here (esp. the plant folk) and are used specifically to introduce iron into the tank (for the benefit of the plants). I doubt your rocks are going to introduce more iron than that. There are iron test kits if you're still in doubt, it never hurts to let some test rocks sit in a bucket for a week and then test KH, GH, pH, and iron. If you're not happy with what it does to the bucket, keep it out of your tank.

And if anyone needs some nice rocks…

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
all of the rocks in my aquarium were either slimey or dug out of the mud. the way i cleaned them was to get a scrub brush and scrub them in clean water. i did the vinegar trick and if they passed that, i then boiled them for 4 to 6 hours. try going to new subdivision thats just being graded for construction. you should have no problem finding rocks. and not just small ones. there are some behind my house that are pushing 75 to 100lbs easy. youll also find a large variety as well from boxy and jagged to smooth and rounded. just my 2 cents. good luck rock hunting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store