Help required for complete beginner - please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jammy

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Yes - I read the article on Cycling - although it said you can cycle with fish or without fish. I understand that it is better to do it without fish.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
jammy said:
What fish can I plan on putting in first? At least I can look forward to this!
I would start witht the betta, than space each additional group of fish apart by atleast 2 weeks. Or, since your planning on doing a fishless cycle, I think, you could add all the fish at once, but adding each group of fish 2 weeks apart is what I'd do - better safe than sorry.

myfishandi

AC Members
Jul 11, 2006
jammy said:
ok - I think I understand about the bacteria and ammonia. I have some test strips which will tell me how much there is in the water (ammonia) and some other things as well.

Once this is done I can add fish - although I really really want some fish now !!

What fish can I plan on putting in first? At least I can look forward to this!
If you want fish now then you'll need to understand how the fishy cycle works.
I think its Danio's that are strong hearty fish.

Just trying to save you the dis appointment of loosing your fish.
It happened to me the first time and its no fun.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
jammy said:
Yes - I read the article on Cycling - although it said you can cycle with fish or without fish. I understand that it is better to do it without fish.
So, what are you planning on doing, fishy or fishless? becuase many fishes won't take the stress of going through a complete cycling of a tank.

jammy

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
I think I am going to do the fishy cycle because I am on holiday and can check on the tank two or three times a day. Otherwise I can not put fish in until after the holidays finishes.

Is Danios the best fish for this and how many should I put in?

If you all feel I am bad if I do this - then I will not do it. I do not want to kill lots of fish.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
so long as you test often and do plenty of water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels as low as possible (at least below .5ppm) then it should be alright. the main problem i have with fishy cycling is when people throw fish in there and then don't monitor the levels and don't do water changes, and let the fish just get burned alive by ammonia that's reaching over 3ppm.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I do not feel you are bad to do this - admittidely I have done it too, but always with bettas (what's better, a cup that is impossible to cycle, or a 10g+ tank that is possible to cycle but isn't cycled yet?).

I suggest you use a *betta(see note)* for the first month, then 6 danios (there schooling fish) or another hardy fish. After the first month and a half, depending on how your water quality sits, you may add more demanding fishes/critters.

Note: another forum member has sad that bettas are a bad fish to cycle a tank with, becuase the amonia and nitrite makes them suceptible to fin rot/fungus. Well, I have never ever had this problem, and I highly doubt a single betta will put enough load on a 27g tank to spike amonia and nitrite to levels high enough to cause fin rot/fungus.

jammy

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Ok - thanks for your help (so far). I will post how I get on.

I now plan to put in a single Siamese Fighter (Betta) and monitor the water to see what happens.

myfishandi

AC Members
Jul 11, 2006
If you all feel I am bad if I do this - then I will not do it. I do not want to kill lots of fish.
No Jammy, I dont think your bad for doing a fishy cycle either :)

Your on the right track and your willingness and caring for the fish's well being is very nice to see. :thm:
As long as you follow the instructions exactly then you'll be fine and so will the fish.

As you go thru the process and future fish care your going to have questions on what to do next, or why is this or that happening.
Ask your questions here.

Many fish store people mean well but they too are mis informed and think what they are telling you is the right thing.
Go ahead and ask the store what to do but also ask here to see if that person knows what he or she is doing.

I dont know if you or friends or family ever had fish before but also be careful with the advise they give you, many people (most actually) have the wrong information too, even though they mean well.

Most of all, HAVE FUN ON SUMMER VACATION!
An aquarium is lotsa fun!

jammy

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Progress is not good!?! :help:

In the end we put in a Bristlenose Catfish and 6 Neon Tetras. (recommendation from the Fish Shop who did not have Danios). However, we checked in a book in the shop and this seemed OK.

We put them in yesterday lunchtime. 2 Neons died this morning. First each one separated from the group and after 15 mins or so, swum to the surface. He looked to be panting. Then he stopped swimming.

Took water to the shop and they replaced the fish (Water was checked and no problems found. They said it was not the water).

This afternoon 2 more died the same way. 4 left seem OK. Had the water checked at a different store and confirmed that it was not the water.

Not sure what to do now except wait and see. Don't want to put any more in really until we understand what is wrong.

Any ideas please?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store