Help, soap in tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just because somebody else got something in their tank, we have no idea if what was in that tank was even remotely similar to what the OP got in their tank. It is dangerous to tell people their tank is safe when you have no idea of what chemicals went into it.

To make this point obvious, go here and you will see they list 1,000 products: https://www.walmart.com/browse/personal-care/hand-lotions-creams/1005862_1071969_2510017 Does anybody really believe they all have the same ingredients? And even if there are 4 sizes of every product listed it would still mean there are 250 different products.

Here is a list of the 7 most used soap ingredients. Which of these things are OK to put into a tank because they can be thoroughly removed by rinsing and/or water changes?

Chemicals in Liquid Soap
In modern liquid soaps, the ingredient list extends far beyond fats and bases. Below is a list of the seven most common ingredients in liquid soap, along with their functions.
Sodium Benzoate and Benzoic Acid
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Fragrance
pH Adjusters
Dyes

How to Make Liquid Soap With Caustic Soda
Sodium hydroxide, also called caustic soda or lye, is a traditional ingredient for soap-making. While potassium hydroxide is more common in liquid soap-making, it is possible to produce liquid soaps using caustic soda.

The thing is, there are many 100s if not 1,000s of potential ingredients that may go into soaps and hand lotions. If you click any of the above links it will take you to the full info. Here is what it states about Fragrance:
Many liquid soaps contain some fragrance. The exact ingredients vary from manufacturer to manufacturer — currently, the law doesn't require the fragrance industry to disclose the specific chemicals they use in their scents.

In one fragrance, there could be hundreds of ingredients or just a few — more than 3,500 oils and chemicals are approved for use in fragrance products. These add a perfuming element to soap, helping it deodorize as well as clean surfaces.

Synthetically produced fragrance oils are the most popular choices for scented liquid soaps. When compared to other fragrance options like essential oils, synthetic fragrances are inexpensive and relatively easy to produce. That makes them an economical and attractive choice for many companies.
Finally, would offer this from Pratical Fishkeeing, a UK publication:
Contact posions

Hand soap and hand sanitising gels are great for hygiene, but it’s essential you use them after going into the tank, not before. I’ve even known aquaria wiped out by people who had been doing the dishes and still had soap residue on their skin.

If you use the same bucket to clean the car, windows, floor and aquarium, you’re asking for trouble from the cocktail of deadly chemicals clinging to the bucket’s sides — even if you rinse it out.
from https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co...e-everyday-chemicals-that-can-kill-your-fish/

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I am sorry sprinkle, but you really have no idea what you are talking about here. Can you even list the ingredients in your soap and hand cream? Do you have any clue what was in the lotion that the OP got into their tank?

Please refrain, if you can, from posting about things with which you have little or no experience or knowledge. You might unintentionally cause somebody to harm their fish. I am sure that is not you goal, but misinformation can be dangerous.

Here is a site which lists the most common ingredients used in organic soaps. I wonder if these are all OK to get into a tank? There are a lot of oils listed and a lot of things I doubt i would want accidentally to get into any of my tanks. The list is from a company that makes organic soap- Three Hills Soap located in Kells, Meath, Ireland.
Our List Of 51 Natural Soap Ingredients Our List Of 51 Natural Soap Ingredients

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Just because somebody else got something in their tank, we have no idea if what was in that tank was even remotely similar to what the OP got in their tank. It is dangerous to tell people their tank is safe when you have no idea of what chemicals went into it.

To make this point obvious, go here and you will see they list 1,000 products: https://www.walmart.com/browse/personal-care/hand-lotions-creams/1005862_1071969_2510017 Does anybody really believe they all have the same ingredients? And even if there are 4 sizes of every product listed it would still mean there are 250 different products.

Here is a list of the 7 most used soap ingredients. Which of these things are OK to put into a tank because they can be thoroughly removed by rinsing and/or water changes?

Chemicals in Liquid Soap
In modern liquid soaps, the ingredient list extends far beyond fats and bases. Below is a list of the seven most common ingredients in liquid soap, along with their functions.
Sodium Benzoate and Benzoic Acid
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Fragrance
pH Adjusters
Dyes

How to Make Liquid Soap With Caustic Soda
Sodium hydroxide, also called caustic soda or lye, is a traditional ingredient for soap-making. While potassium hydroxide is more common in liquid soap-making, it is possible to produce liquid soaps using caustic soda.

The thing is, there are many 100s if not 1,000s of potential ingredients that may go into soaps and hand lotions. If you click any of the above links it will take you to the full info. Here is what it states about Fragrance:

Finally, would offer this from Pratical Fishkeeing, a UK publication:

from https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co...e-everyday-chemicals-that-can-kill-your-fish/
+1
Just clean the tank and start over with everything but the tank itself

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I am sorry sprinkle, but you really have no idea what you are talking about here. Can you even list the ingredients in your soap and hand cream? Do you have any clue what was in the lotion that the OP got into their tank?

Please refrain, if you can, from posting about things with which you have little or no experience or knowledge. You might unintentionally cause somebody to harm their fish. I am sure that is not you goal, but misinformation can be dangerous.

Here is a site which lists the most common ingredients used in organic soaps. I wonder if these are all OK to get into a tank? There are a lot of oils listed and a lot of things I doubt i would want accidentally to get into any of my tanks. The list is from a company that makes organic soap- Three Hills Soap located in Kells, Meath, Ireland.
Our List Of 51 Natural Soap Ingredients Our List Of 51 Natural Soap Ingredients
Certainly no lye i have no idea. I only speak from experience y pick on me? Nvm, gonna ignore this topic as it make me uncomfy (just reminds me of a movie scene)~

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Certainly no lye i have no idea. I only speak from experience y pick on me? Nvm, gonna ignore this topic as it make me uncomfy (just reminds me of a movie scene)~
His intent wasn’t to pick on you, he was just letting you know you’re mistaken and it could be a costly mistake if the OP follows

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store