HELP!! Tang with urchin wound!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
MY idiot yellow tang swam into my long spine urchin (diadema sp. )!!What should I do? It is sticking out of him still, but since you can kinda see through him, it doesn't appear to be puncturing any organs, but I am not sure where the swim bladder may be. Around the wound and up a little bit, is kinda whitish, or bluish, is that the poison? Should I pull it out or leave it in to work it's way out? I know that urchin spines are made to go only one way-farther in, so would pulling it out hurt him more? Should I Quarantine him with mela-fix? Oh, what in the world should I do?

BTW, the stupid fish is just swimming around like normal ane eating the seaweed I just put in as aggressively as ever.

Thank you for any help, and hurry with answers please!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd monitor--you will want to remove the spine, a swell, so it doen'st maintain an open wound. Otherwise--keep up the water quality and the fish should heal.

What size tank is this? I've kept urchins in tanks for years and never had a fish get injured.

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
It is a thirty gallon. We've had him for a year and we got him pretty small, and never had a fish get hurt, except when we got a new damsel and released it (accidentally)into the flow of the powerhead. The urchin was at the end of the flow. But anyways, he's gotten rather large recently-about the size of a small tangerine. We are looking into donating him to an aquarium or upgrading to a larger tank.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Upgrade! Tangs in small tanks seldom do well, and long spines shouldn't be in small tanks with fish for this exact reason--there's no place for the fish to safely swim without hitting the urchin, and since the urchin moves around, it's hard for the fish to 'learn' where to avoid. I'd go for a minimum of a 75, with a 90 being better.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hey, get that spine out asap they work there way in deeper over time. I read somewhere about a diver that got one in the palm of his hand and it worked it's way out the other side a couple of years later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store