Help - tiny white curly things?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
I did an initial search, but dont really know what I'm looking for. I hope you guys and gals can help.

I just discovered that my 3 week old, planted, freshwater (no fish yet) 20 gallon long tank has these tiny white curly cue *things* all along the gravel in my tank. there are probably several dozen to a hundred? i really havent counted how many there are...I'll try and take some pics if i can.

i noticed the very first one when I planted my first 2 plants right after i set up the aquarium. I had believed it to be a piece of root or something. I hadnt really noticed an increase in their number. until now...

Last week ago I bought an additional plant from my LFS and one from Petco...sorry, I dont know the names...and now I've also found a tiny snail crawling around in my tank.

Are these related?

How can I get rid of these curly cues?
I pulled out the snail...how can I prevent any more from appearing (eggs hatching...)

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Thanks ChiliDawg and Aquafreak.
I'll start with those suggestions...however, let me add this:
the white curly cue things are lying absolutely still in the gravel, not on the glass (my tank is plexiglass if that matters). They dont *seem* to be alive, other than the fact that they have multiplied in number...

if anyone has any other helpful advice, please let me know.

Thanks!!

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
hehehe

actually, i ran this tank utnil about 6 years ago. it was running for maybe 5-7 years before that. before i set it up this time, i thoroughly cleaned it. so its not shavings....

i think my digicam would have a hard time capturing one of these from the outside of the aquarium...so ill try to pull some out and take a few pics tonight

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store