help to raise a baby flowerhorn

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

renju13

Registered Member
Oct 7, 2008
i've just got a baby flowerhorn .. around 3 inches long ..i need some advice as to how to care for it so tat its hump grows properly and also for attaining a bright colour

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Feed a high-quality, varied diet including a good brand cichlid pellet (NLS and Hikari are recommended) as his staple diet, with frozen bloodworms, frozen krill, shrimp, etc. as treats a couple times a week. Make sure you have a big enough tank (I would say 75G minimum for the flowerhorn alone), and keep the water quality pristine with excellent filtration and regular water changes and gravel vacs.

The development of the hump (kok) will ahve more to do with genetics than anything else, though good diet and clean water help. There are methods people use to enlarge the kok but I don't know much about them.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I agree with lucy, although I have neber been able to get my FH to eat ANYTHING other than live foods-which can be quite expensive-and frozen bloodworms. Do you know what strain yours comes from as this has A LOT do to do with kok? FH's can be quite hardy and grow VERY quickly as well as can get quite aggressive, mine bites me every time I have my hands in the tank. You will eventually find that a bare bottom or a very thin layer of substrate will work best for tank maintenance. As always I woud like to suggest doing your research before purchasing any animal. Good luck with your ne FH they are quite beautiful and can be an interesting addition:)

GusBus27

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
If you start early on pellets (hikari gold or other good pellet), they'll take to them fine. Just dont spoil them all the time when they're young with live food, get them acustomed to pellets early & then, from my experience they'll eat just about anything....

Aylmer

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
I think genetics has a very dominant role to play in the head formation. I have also found that live shrimp works well combined with Humpy Head pellet food if fed at an early age for good development.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store