HELP What can be done about drain fly larvae in filter media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jillofalltrades

AC Members
Mar 19, 2011
North Florida
Real Name
Jill
I had this problem before and i thought it was some kind of black worms.. that was about a month ago... Now there back in full force.. I went to clean out my sump tank with a turkey baster, seen these little tiny flies sitting on the filter drawer (see picture)
I pull the drawer out and my filter media was covered in them. I could not stand it took out the stuff and put it in a bucket with hot water.. I don't know if it will kill them, there all tangled up in the weave of the filters. What can be done?

I also have snails in my sump tank, is that bad?worms 005.JPGfly's worms 007.JPGfly's worms 009.JPGhead micro 011.JPGbody.JPGtail.JPG

worms 005.JPG fly's worms 007.JPG fly's worms 009.JPG head micro 011.JPG body.JPG tail.JPG

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I would throw them in the tank as fish food : )
I second that..

If you dont want to do that and do NOT have inverts or scaleless fish, you can dose the tank with copper.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I second that..

If you dont want to do that and do NOT have inverts or scaleless fish, you can dose the tank with copper.
Thirded:D

Kool-Aid

Registered Member
Jun 25, 2021
They are gross and disgusting
Went to clean my cats waterfall
Filter bowl and found a bunch of
Them inside and on the filter
???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com