help with algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
"Hair algae" is a collective term that encompasses a lot of algal species, genera, and families. I think it is appropriate and not incorrect to call just about any of them "hair algae," in general.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You could put some peat moss in your filter cartridge.
This is only applicable to freshwater systems. Don't put peat moss in a marine aquarium, as it will not have the same effect, short of yellowing the water.

If you want to lower pH, the safest thing I can immediately recommend is to aerate the water heavily. For example, if you don't already have a protein skimmer, get one and see if that makes a difference. Second, you can try carbonated water @ 6mL per gallon to drop the pH by 0.3 units. Make absolutely sure there is nothing else in it--just carbonated water. My third choice would be to use a bit of household (5% acidity) distilled white vinegar @ 1mL per gallon to lower pH by .3 units. With either, add small amounts and monitor pH very carefully.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Oh, something I needed to add. Have you cross referenced that pH reading with another reliable test kit? I would do that before you actually start tinkering with the pH, especially lowering it. What are you using to supplement calcium and alkalinity? Do you have a refugium with lots of macroalgal growth (and photosynthesis)?

hmotorsol

AC Members
Apr 25, 2008
Isn't vinegar a type of carbon dosing? Which if he did it properly would help the algae too.

masterchef518

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
Oh, something I needed to add. Have you cross referenced that pH reading with another reliable test kit? I would do that before you actually start tinkering with the pH, especially lowering it. What are you using to supplement calcium and alkalinity? Do you have a refugium with lots of macroalgal growth (and photosynthesis)?
ok i will take my water to my lfs and have them test the water also im not using any supplements and i dont have a skimmer and no refugium so no macroalgae

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Isn't vinegar a type of carbon dosing? Which if he did it properly would help the algae too.
Yes, but I can't recommend long term supplementation, especially without an efficient skimmer and a means to heavily aerate the water. Otherwise, carbon dosing will have a much reduced effectiveness and you risk low oxygen levels and higher bacterial counts (which are already present, especially when dosing, but even higher without a skimmer).

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
"Hair algae" is a collective term that encompasses a lot of algal species, genera, and families. I think it is appropriate and not incorrect to call just about any of them "hair algae," in general.
Yeah, I'm not trying to be a terminology stickler or anything, but it is important to know which you have since the treatments for each may vary.
The Tech M is a real relief of a cure for bryopsis, which was one of the hardest for me to rid compared to typical hair algae.
Tech M did nothing to deter common hair algae in my case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store