Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with aquarium PAINT

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by Daniel Unique Name, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Daniel Unique Name

Daniel Unique Name AC Members

Dec 24, 2017
    I was looking for some large black lava rock 5-10 inches but no rock yards or landscaping supply has black lava rock other than the small 2-3 inch ones.

Now I'm simply willing to use any aquarium safe rock and paint it black. Maybe if i call around I can find large red lava rock and simply paint it...I've heard of tons of people using krylon paint for plastic on pvc in their aquariums but was wondering if that would work on rocks or if there is any other paints that would be better for rocks. I've also read ANY non toxic paint as long as it wasn't oil based would be fine. Doesn't seem to be much info online in painting aquarium rocks

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit Note: I need to have this done by Christmas and after boiling lava rock I wonder if I would have enough time for it to dry out AND the paint to cure by then... Any Suggestions on different types of black rocks I wouldn't have to paint or even nonblack rocks I could paint would be great too if they're cheap or reasonable like granite or something.

Thanks for everything

2. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Yesterday at 3:04 PM
    Sheila
    Honestly, you might do better to DIY concrete bricks yourself. You can use spray foam to build a mold in a shape you like, make the concrete and use a non-toxic dye in in it to get the color you want. Paint on rocks is very likely to chip and flake off, potentially being eaten and caught up in the filter.

3. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Sunday at 3:33 AM
    Jessica
    Strange, all the landscape stores near me have Black Lava rocks. I would look for other locations.
    PS-- I would never paint rocks.

4. Daniel Unique Name

Daniel Unique Name AC Members

Dec 24, 2017
    May I understand your reasoning behind your comment of the subject of paint?

5. Nicole Martin

Nicole Martin AC Members

Nicole Martin
    Jan 9, 2018
    Nicole Martin
  6. wesleydnunder

wesleydnunder Discus Addict
    Staff Member

Mark
    Monday at 2:46 PM
    Mark
    If you're skillful with a hot glue gun, you could make big rocks out of smaller rocks. It doesn't hold together well if the rock surface is exceptionally crumbly, though.

Mark

7. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Today at 2:40 AM
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    I would not recommend painting rocks, very likely to chip under water. DId you get this solved by Christmas? Still looking for advice?