Help with Arowana Tank Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ag11786

Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help planning my new tank for arowanas. I have currnetly got a 5ft mixed reef tank, and a 4 ft cichlid tank. I would like a change and invest in a few exclusive specimens of Arowanas...any suggestions.

I am planning to keep discuss and Arowana in the same tank anyone with experience please share, also if someone could let me know the size of the tank that I should be getting to fit around 4 arowanas fully grown to adult size and around 10 Discuss fish.

What time of equipment I will need etc.

I don't mind having a sump as my main filteration as I will most likely have room for one and having had the experience of a salt water tank I believe that having a sump is ideal for large systems. I have seen some tanks with skimmers is that really needed for this type of setup..?

Also one last thing that I would like to keep is live plant as I think it makes the tank look brilliant.

Any suggestions would be :welcome:

Thanks

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I cant really help on the size of the tank because i never have and most likely wont ever have arowanas or discus. But because arowana grow huge and you want a few along with a nice school of discus i think a sump would be the way to go because the bigger the fish the more waste if produces. Also do some research because discus like and thrive in warm waters (82F-84F) and not alot fish can tolerate that temperature for an extended period of time. Personally i think if its possible and you do follow through with your plans of having this tank i think it would be awesome and id love to see it once its done.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
First of all, a long tank is more important than a wide tank. Arowana grow to more than 3' in length so a tank of 7'- 8' for 4 adults should be enough room. Discus might work since they don't occupy the surface where the Arowana will be. I don't have experience with either of these fish but I've read much about them. Discus, IMO, aren't worth the expense and Arowana are too large to accommodate properly. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store