Help with calcium deposits on aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Margaret C

AC Members
Oct 27, 2018
I live in an apartment with hard city water. My tank gets white calcium deposits all over it on the outside and I would like to know what I can do to prevent this. I can clean it but really want to prevent it.
I use water conditioning chemicals with enzymes to get rid of chlorine and other things needed to be removed but nothing for the calcium. Can someone suggest something for me to do? Thanks:)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So far, I've heard of nothing that can prevent it when using such hard water. I live in Phoenix, and I keep plain distilled vinegar handy for dealing with the deposits.

RODI should be a way to avoid it, but some of those minerals are beneficial to your fish and stuff, so pure RODI tank fills should probably be avoided, unless you're adding the appropriate (I don't know which) minerals. I just deal with it. :eek:

I think distilled is actively bad for your fish, because it'll leach minerals from their bodies. It does to us, so I'd expect that to be more or less the same with the fish.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
As what "Authmal" said, vinegar will remove calcium stains. But to remove calcium from the water is another thing. You will need to buy and install a Calcium filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store