Help with ciclids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Since you are seeing nitrites it means the bacteria is processing the ammonia produced by the fish. Now you have to wait for the bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates. Keep doing daily water changes to keep the nitrite down and safe for the fish. Do not add any more fish until you see nitrates. Don't add any chemicals it usually hurts more than helps.

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
Since you are seeing nitrites it means the bacteria is processing the ammonia produced by the fish. Now you have to wait for the bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates. Keep doing daily water changes to keep the nitrite down and safe for the fish. Do not add any more fish until you see nitrates. Don't add any chemicals it usually hurts more than helps.

this...can't say it any better....:thumbsup:

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
well i just added prime to the water. after about 30-45 mins after i gave 5 times the dose since it said for emergency uses, use 5 times the dose they are now hanging at the bottom and are more active and not at the filter.
So far i lost 3 catfish, 1 lobster, 4-5 ciclids.

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
well i thought m tank cycle was done. till the nitrite went up. so far i lost a pink convict and my leponus (i think that how you spell it , Long and yellow with black stripes) he decided to jump out behind my filter.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
good luck

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
well i thought m tank cycle was done. till the nitrite went up. so far i lost a pink convict and my leponus (i think that how you spell it , Long and yellow with black stripes) he decided to jump out behind my filter.

Part of having a tank... Water Changes... Sorry man..

there's an old Pirate saying..
"The beatings will continue until water morale improves."

hollyfish2000

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
In addition to not understanding cycling (and thus endangering your fish), it doesn't sound like you're getting good stocking advice either. I have two suggestions:

1. Cycling: Keep doing water changes daily to get nitrites below .5 for your fish's comfort. Keep oxygenating the water. You might try to get more media from an established tank to add to your filter OR you might try Dr. Tim's One and Only, which is a solution of basically the biological filter that you're trying to establish. I've had great luck in reducing nitrites spikes with this. If you do add it, you'll need to not do a water change for a day or two. (I have this reduce nitrite from .5 to 0 overnight).

2. List all your stock and your goals/desires for this tank and others can help you do this correctly (once you're cycled).

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store