Help with Diagnosis of illness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hammerman

I was here!
Oct 2, 2002
Upstate, NY
Visit site
Please! Help with Diagnosis of illness

Hi Gang,

I need help with trying to figure-out what's going on with my juvenile Severums.

I came home the other day to find one of my juvenile severums hiding in a corner of the tank. He could swin ok, but he seemed alittle disoriented, he seemed to bounce off the botton or sides when he when toward them, and he would not eat, and he just wanted to hid.

I moved him to his own tank, where he died a day later. Another one has done the same thing, he die. Now I have another one begining to do the same thing. They just won't eat and they hide. They aren't swollen, thier eyes are clear, their bodies show no sign of illness, I'm just at my wits end. The Tiger barbs and the other fish are fine. I just don't know what to treat this with, here is the tank specs:

Misc:
Temp 82
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 20

Fish:
1 common pleco
1 Queen Ababesque pleco
6 YoYo loaches
6 Clown loaches
2 Striped ralphal catfish
2 baby Golden Severums
3 baby Green Severums
10 Tiger Barbs

Here is what I have in the way of Meds,

Maracyn
Maracyn- 2
Maracide
MelaFix

Any and all help is greatfully appreciated,
Thanks~

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
Well, it's either some toxicity in the water to which Severums are more sensitive (that seems unlikely, if other fish are acting normally).

Or it's a nutritional deficiency (unlikely too, right?)

Or it's a pathogen, either bacterial (here I think our hobby antibacterials aren't effective) or a parasite.

Judging from a distance isn't very accurate. Especially where no overt symptoms exist: no cloudy skin, blind eye, Ich spots, etc. There are also a whole class of sporidians with obscure life cycles for instance.

Hammerman

I was here!
Oct 2, 2002
Upstate, NY
Visit site
Thanks WetmanNY,

I guess my main concern is should I treat the whole tank with an internal antibacterial now, so everyone else doesn't get, or should I let it run it's course. I've changed the water daily now since the first signs, but still no luck. It's just heartbreaking for me to watch it.

Thanks for all your help...
Scott~

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
there could be summin in the water, which the other fish have gotten used to...i dont think you said whether the sevrums where new addititions, but if they are then thats probably it. water changes should fix that eventually. it could be a genetic thing on the other hand, if all the sevrums were from the same brood. in which case there would be nothin you could do. but lets not jump the gun, and see how they are after that treatment and afew more water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store