Help with ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Picture 035.jpgPicture 010.jpgPicture 009.jpgPicture 008.jpgPicture 031.jpg

Just trying to figure out what hitchhikers Ive got here.. Ive got 4 things on this one piece of LR that Im trying to ID.. First pic shows yellow blob, not sure at all what that is.. Last pic shows all the rest, about middle of pic is larger anemone?? I think?? Then there appears to be a mushroom like thing just above that, Looks green in pic but its usually a maroon color.. Both of those seem to open and close up with the lights goin on and off.. Then there are many of the other fan tip things.. They are bright green and close up when the moonlights come on.. I was thinking aptasia but have read they are yellow or brown..
What does everyone think? Other pics are just of the fishies.. 'Spike' the porcupine puffer and a pair of occ clowns.. I also have a lawnmower blenny but he hasnt been photo friendly yet. Spending most of his time hiding in the rocks..

Thanks for any help,
Shane.

Picture 035.jpg Picture 031.jpg Picture 010.jpg Picture 009.jpg Picture 008.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Blob is mostly likely a type of sponge. Others look like an anemone, possibly mejano, and several polyps.

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Thanks OrionGirl.. Are any of these bad for my tank, Im FOWLR, the stuff on the rock came with the LR.. Is it ok to leave in there??

Shane.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sponges are fine, I really like them because they are colorful and low maintenance. Polyps are fine--they may reproduce, but not hazardous to your stock. If that is a mejano, I'd kill it. They're pests.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Definitely Majanos

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Majanos, thats the big anemone?? or all the little small ones...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The big one. The smaller ones are most likely a type of colonial polyp, probably yellows.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Niether of them look anything like Majano (much thicker/bubbly tips) I raised in their species tank.

Perhaps smaller ones are Aipatasia Sp other than commonly seen or even Anemonia sulcata, etc, etc.

Let Lg one grow as long as they dont spread like wild fire. Perhaps easier to ID when grown bit more, if it grow ??

Edges of sponge seemed to be growing algae but not sure if it is from the pic. I would place sponge away from any lighting, a shaded area with stong water movements for it to last long in captiivty.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
"majano" anemones are in a conferred complex of potentially unrelted species and aren't considered a single species. The one on the top left fits within the complex, though. The others may be aiptasiids, but the may also be a zoanthid (mouths fit that description). Really need a better photo, maybe without flash.

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
I will try and get better pics of them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store