Help with Koi Pond in Arizona

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clarkjv

Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
Pond 4.JPGWe had a koi pond built this past March. It is now 6 months old. It is 15' X 25', 18'' to 36" deep. I have 17 water lillies, 7 Yerba Mansa, 2 Louisiana Iris, 3 grasses, 1 taro, 2 mosaic plants and 1 pickerel wart. We think we have about a dozen koi but we're not sure because the water is so green we can't see the fish. It's been a very hot summer in the Phoenix area with temps over 110. So it's no wonder that we have algae. My question is how do I get the pond in balance so that the water will clear when the temps cool down to say...80 degrees? I;m new to this and I could use some advice.
Thank you in advance...

Pond 4.JPG

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Several things may help. Good plant cover on the surface, which it looks like you have. Some way to shade the pond and limit the amount of direct sunlight the pond receives to 8-9 hours per day. Good filtration and the possible use of a UV sterilizer in the filtration system. Could also have some sort of bog, plant basin filtration to aid in removing nitrates. In the past I have had a UV with a bog filter and it did help in clarity. FWIW the depth or lack of depth brings up concerns for the water temp, not much you can do about that now. Sprays or fountains could help but would really add to evaporation loss. Good luck.

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
1. UV
2. Shade
3. Add aquarium poly-fiber to your filter (great for catching green water). Change every 1-2 days
4. Patience - my pump died 3 months ago and it took me 10 days to swap it out and in the meantime all the "good"
bacteria had died from my filters so the water became green. Only now - after 3 months is the water starting to
clear. It could take you many more months before your pond becomes balanced.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Barley bails will also help get rid of green water. So will adding a lot, and I mean a lot, of fast growing plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store