Help with Plants!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dechen

AC Members
Feb 16, 2012
This is my first aquarium and although I have done a lot of reading I am still having issues with my plants. I have a 20 gallon long tank that I started two weeks ago. I have no fish yet as I am waiting for it to cycle. I have the light on for about 12 hours a day. I have fluorite and gravel as a substrate and I supplement with flourish and flourish excel. I also used prime to condition the water. My plants looked good until a few days ago when I did a partial water change. I have a Cryptocoryne Lucens which have leaves that are turning transparent and yellow along with some brown spots, I have a Java Fern that is getting a different kind of brown spotting, two Anubias that have looked fabulous and now have small brown dots on them, another small grass like planting that is producing new shoots but has leaves that are becoming yellow and transparent. This is what my water test shows:
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Hardness – 75
Chlorine – 0
Alkalinity – Between 40 & 80
PH – Between 7.8

Any advice would be welcome, thanks!

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
Cryptocoryene will get tempermental when you move/transplant/change lighting and frequently 'melt' it's leaves away. Don't panic on that one..... it will eventually re-establish itself. If your grass has new growth..... don't worry about the old stuff dying off...trim it away as the new growth takes over.
Brown spots on your leaves could mean nutrients are burning your plants? (Maybe someone else has an opinion to offer on that)
I would think that when you start to see nitrates build up a bit more, you will see improvements in your plants.
Have patience, good luck!

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Need to know some other info like, What kind of light are you running? How much light is it? How high is the light from the top of the substrate? What are your other water conditions like Temp? Ammonia? What are you using to cycle the tank?

Its sounds to me like a few different possibilities. But Mostly nutrient deficient issues is the biggest thing. Without having any Nitrates your plants are going to be nutrient starved. I would recommend dosing both Macro and Micro ferts. Your missing part of the ferts you need as right now your only giving them Micro. The Macro will add to the mix the needed Nitrates as well. I would also recommend using some root tabs for the root feeders you have. Plants like Crypts, Swords and other rooted type plants will gain from them. I would also back your light time down to about no more then 10 hours a day. To much light coupled with little to no nutrients will cause the plants to burn up and eventually die off. One other thing to note. Excel is not a fert. It is a chemical Glutaraldehyde or in this case a PolyGlutaraldehyde. It does add a form of carbon, but plants like Crypts and Vals can have melting issues with it. So be slight in your usage.

Personally I dont like to use the Seachem ferts. To expensive and easier to have issues I feel. I would recommend trying a Dry fert program. Such as EI or another dosing program. Its easy, provides you what you need. Mixed with using root tabs I think it would help. I like to get my Dry ferts at Bobs Tropical Plants. Get the basic fert package for about 20 bucks. It will last your tank a year.

Make sure your lighting is what it needs to be. The proper amount and proper spectrum. Feel free to ask any questions be glad to help.

Dechen

AC Members
Feb 16, 2012
Thank you both for your replys. I have a 17 watt 8,000k full spectrum florescent light and the tank is 12' high and 30'' long. The temp is 76. I have not tested the ammonia, I thought my test kit came with that as well but does not. I will pick one up. I have an Aqueon quiet flow filter.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
The brown dots on your Anubias could very well be diatoms (some people call it "brown algae") that usually bloom during an initial tank run-in phase.

Otto's will clear it up rather quickly

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I was thinking....crypt melt, which is not unusual, in fact almost guaranteed. It will come back. Brown spots most likely diatoms which you can rub off, or leave there...it will usually run it's course. I say these because the plants you mention (except for the "grass") are usually very low maintenance. Mine do great and I never use ferts. Pics would help a lot.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
I would agree more then likely diatoms as you have lower light. But you do need nitrates as the plants feed off of them.

Dechen

AC Members
Feb 16, 2012
Some Pictures

Thank you all. As I am new to this, your help and advice are very much appreciated! Here are a few pictures.

plant.jpgplant1.jpgplant2.jpg

plant.jpg plant1.jpg plant2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store