Help! Wood/Bamboo Shrimp exhibiting abnormal behaviour

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shin

Registered Member
Jul 1, 2017
So I bought 6 Wood Shrimp for my 200 Gallon freshwater planted tank about a week ago. They seem to do fine and enjoy themselves well enough. There is plenty of driftwood and abundance of hiding place for them and they've quickly settled down and I can spot them filter feeding without much trouble. Water parameters seems fine, ph 7-7.2, no ammonia or nitrite (although there were some nitrite (<0.25ppm) before the WC), nitrates are low 25, GH & KH are on the softer end and the last water change was some 3 days ago at 25%. Temperature was at 27.7C. 2 canister filters are running fine and I've replaced the filter floss of the smaller backup filter just this morning.

However today one of my shrimp is behaving oddly. It ran out into the open seemingly in panic/pain, stumbling and flailing it's limbs and swimming in looping circles. I also noticed it has all it's feeders closed and does not appear to be feeding. I inspected it thoroughly after coaxing it onto my net and it seems to be completely intact. The other (4)shrimps which I manage to find after careful search appears to be fine and still eating as normal and hidden under driftwood.

At first, I thought it might have been spooked by the thunderstorm (it ended about some 5 minutes ago when I noticed the behavior) which has caused a trip and I have turned back on the power not too long after, however it doesn't seem to be calming down and instead continues to flail and twitch like it is in pain and stumble like its legs won't support it. I managed to get a short video of its stumbling behavior but not much of anything else.

Can anyone advise? It's rather upsetting watching it seemingly in pain and not knowing what to do about it.

Also since I'm new, the forum doesn't allow me to share a link :(

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Are you actively putting small granule/crushed flake food into the water column for them? Filter feeders tend to fair poorly in community setups--there just aren't enough small foods in the water column for them to really thrive. The behavior is similar to shrimp that are hungry and searching madly to find a new place to graze. Try powdering an algae based flake food and releasing it into the water flow in front of the shrimp. It might help--but you'll need to do these a few times a day to really be providing enough food for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store