helppp cycle is being dumb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I personally don't like needle valve imnplementations of RO/DI units because you have to pierce the water supply in order to get them to function. I prefer those units that have a ball value and can be installed in-line with the feed to the faucet. That way if you move, leave etc it is not a difficult fix to remove/repair the installation of the unit.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
More GPD isn't necessarily better. I read somewhere that the greater the GPD the more wastewater is produced....or something like that. If you think about it the only time that you really 'need' high GPD is during the initial fill and the first big water change.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
hmmm I had always thought it was a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratio, in that you will waste 3 or 4 gallons of water for every 1 you purify. I have purchased a water general from filter direct and have no problems with it. I personally like the clear cannisters as I can tell the condition of my filters at a glance. It took a while to break in, and initally was quite depressed as to the amount of time it took to generate water. I am not sure what the actual PSI of the local tap is here, but I consider it an average flow rate. Now it will generate almost 32 gallons in the time it takes me to sleep.

Good luck with your new unit.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
More GPD isn't necessarily better. I read somewhere that the greater the GPD the more wastewater is produced....or something like that. If you think about it the only time that you really 'need' high GPD is during the initial fill and the first big water change.

The guys at AirWaterIce told me the same thing...they sell 2 models that are the same rate and one produces more water than the other. They told me that the one that produces more water will also need it's cartridges replaced more often.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
i didnt purchase the unit simply because it had 10 more gallons per day, i purchased it because my reef club raves about filterdirects RO filters, and it was only a few dollars more.

I thought that the extra 10 gallons was a good add-on as well, but maybe i was wrong 8)

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Jo,

I ordered that same system a few days ago (supposed to deliver next Tuesday).

My club feels the same way about it. ;)

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
thats good, the price was good as well. 8)

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
just ordered part of my clean-up crew from Etropicals, spend 60 dollars on a build your own, and shipping is free 8).

So i got free shipping, and better prices on specimens than i would have gotten at any LFS around here. Good deal to me. (although selection was a tad bit limited, but i'll live. )

just thought id update.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Congrats and good luck.. Keep us updated as to how their arrival turns out..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store