Hi New to this forum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msmuffit

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
California
topaztiel.camarades.com
Hi New to this forum...(Actual Fish Question!)

:p i'm not new to aq's but sorta getting back into them after a few years... set up my 20L with 3 gold sailfin mollies(1 male 2 female). tank has a fluval cannister , a 10" bubble stone ,plastic plants and a few low profile ornaments,heavy salt i feed tetramin and tetra spirulina flakes. about 6/7 days ago both females had their babies and i wasn't yet set up to save them :( so of course the adults gorged themselves and a lot of the babies got caught in the filter. i cleaned (tank was cycled before fish) changed the floss and rinsed other material in filter daily... did about 3 gals of water change daily (replacing salt w/water) the last baby dissappeared last night:( and the male and smaller female are doing fine but the larger female has stopped eating and the others started picking on her so i used a divider to give her time to herself. she has been like this (progressive) for about 5 days. she mostly sits at the bottom. she seems a little better today (color and activity) but still is not interested in food. could she have eaten too many fry and become impacted? i didn't notice her waste out put the first few days was too busy (to no avail) trying to save some of the fry... she has No rot or spots or ?.... her color has gotten less gold (stress?) and the other two are doing fine... is there anything i can do to help her? should i totally seperate her from the others? since she is a little better should i remove the divider and see if they let her be? (sorry this is so long:)
http://topaztiel.camarades.com/

Last edited:

msmuffit

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
California
topaztiel.camarades.com
Thank you Pootspete

Love your website.... wish i had that much ambition and energy to be able to keep up with all those fishys:) went to the link there too... is that yours also? (Pootspete my webcam is a cheap fuzzy logitech too:rolleyes: )
does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with my molly? i hate to think of her in pain or slowly dieing... if anyone has a suggestion but needs to actually "see" her let me know. i'll turn the cam on her. (not really much dif than other 2 except less active)

Pootspete

AC Members
Jul 26, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
members.tripod.com
I know someone will reply to you about your Molly. Sorry, I do not know the answer to your question.

Thanks for visiting my web site though, and yes the other web site is mine also.

I too have that awful fuzzy web cam. I am hoping one day to own a digital camera, but right now I do not have the funds.

msmuffit

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
California
topaztiel.camarades.com
hi Darkangel...

salt is aquarium salt approx 4tbl spoons per gal. (20L holds approx 16 gals) temp is between 78/80 degrees... and there are no other fish. i did not "see" them eat the fry but there were soooo many and as soon as the smaller female gave birth (about 12 hrs after the bigger F) they all 3 had Very full tummies... the females were "blocky" like they hadn't even had their fry. a lot of the babies lasted 3/4 days and were eating...i did see that... then all of a sudden their numbers slid down to 12 then 6 then 3... the last 1 (a tiny) lasted 5/6 days... (yesterday i got desperate and broke down the fluval sterilized everything. shook out all the gunk including hoses and elbows and put back... a few hrs later she looked a little perkier) haven't given up and if she should pass i will get another female. will be ready for next batch of fry. i just hope nothing wrong with tank... read up on articles here... nice place and thank you :)

msmuffit

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
California
topaztiel.camarades.com
thank you for moving me back

:) i wouldn't have been so upset if i had just been introducing myself but i really did need help. "did" is the operative word. i euthanized her. she was losing all her color and her tummy had gotten that caved in look. she hadn't eaten for 2 days and showed no interest in food so i couldn't stand it...(i bawl like a baby over others pain) plus i needed to take out the divider and i knew if i let her out with the other 2 mollys they would start picking on her again. soooo those 2 are happy and eating and... well doing what livebearers constantly do. i'll have a 10 gal set up for any future babys and maybe be able to save a few. Thank You to the few that welcomed me. does anyone have any idea of what might have gone wrong with her? (BTW this was a 6 dollar molly:rolleyes: ) i'll try another post when i can find the courage.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
get yourself some test kits and use them whenever something seems odd. ammonia, Ph, and nitrites are good starter kits.

And no problem about moving the thread around. Dont let it scare you off... Its not a personal thing.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Welcome, and please don't be frightened off…

I just have no idea what's wrong with your fish.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I don't know about the fish, but my "Grover" sure wants to meet Topaz. He's a stud.
Maybe, if there isn't any visible signs of illness, that's just the personality of that particular fish. Some fish are more active/aggressive than others. But my knowledge of Mollies is very limited........welcome to the board by the way.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store