hi phosphate and nitrates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

closer21

Registered Member
Jul 23, 2014
Can you use phosban a day after using a pro ammonia reducer in order to get my levels back to normal? I introduced live sand to a well established 29 gallon tank. It needed sand. Also just transfered the tank....had to move.... im thinking the new sand is going through a cycle? im new to this hobby and need help!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Was the live sand fresh from another system or store bought bagged 'live sand'? When I've used the bagged stuff before with good live rock it went through a couple days of a mini cycle, I don't think much living stuff is left in the bagged live sand by the time you buy it.

Does the ammonia reducer have any warnings about not using certain media with it? I don't think phsoban would have any effect on it but I've never used any ammonia removers.

johnnyriker

AC Members
Jul 25, 2014
I don't think phosban would do anything to ammonia reducers. What levels are you aiming for when looking at phosphates? Normal levels are usually 0.06. They do not have to be exactly that much. As long as you keep in under 0.1 you should be fine. I would not use ammonia reducers as they will throw your numbers out. Ammonia is a natural part of a reef tank and is processed by bacteria into nitrites and finally into nitrates. Just be sure not to overfeed your tank.

johnny

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store