High Nitrate Levels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
pugman said:
Your statement is like saying "I don't believe in dechlorinating water." I KNEW as soon as I posted something about chemical media that someone would criticize it.
All right, no need to get defensive about chemical exchange media. It is NOT the same as using a tap water conditioner to make water safe for fish. I'm just pointing out that the most effective solution is usually frequent water changes. We still do not have confirmation from the OP whether it is indeed coming from their tap or not. But you're absolutely right that high nitrates could be coming from the source water. Most municipal tap water seems to have nitrates that are in the 10 ppm range or even less, so it did not occur to me personally that 60-70 readings could be after water changes.

hike13

Hello Gorgeous
Aug 23, 2005
SF, CA
Rob0504 said:
I do a weekly water change of approx. 25%. I'll go higher per your recommendations.

I have three plants embedded in the gravel.

I think I feed the fish to much. Twice a day for 4 minutes...maybe a snack during the day if I am home...only enough so minimal amount of excess falls to the bottom.

Tap water nitratre = 0

Thanks!

I would cut down the feedings to once a day. And only as much as they'll eat in a couple of minutes. They'll be fine even if you think they "look" hungry. And I'll echo what others have said. 50% change once per week. Personally I would start doing 30% changes everyday to start bringing the nitrates down. Once they are down to a managable level (~20) then get into the 50% per week routine.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
oh, thanks hike13, I didn't catch the part where he said tap water nitrates were zero. So yes, the solution is less feeding in conjunction with regular water changes. I personally do 50% water changes at least once a week on my tanks. Sometimes 2-3 times a week if needed. You will need to do as many as needed to get nitrates below 20 ppm ideally. I personally strive for 10 ppm and I have lots of live plants.

Also, feeding twice a day is not really necessary. I usually feed about 3-4 times a week in my community tank. They're still fat and happy :) 4 minutes of eating is kind of a lot. My feedings usually last a minute or two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store