High nitrates on new setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I get you dougall! I was more sort of addressing garden soils, not those other "plant soils"...I've even contemplated red clay w/ferts in spots for my fav crypts...but not exactly soil...

Shivering indeed! LOL, I've heard nothing but trouble from those "dirt soils", organic or not, from most that have tried...& are totally honest in the long term... :eek:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
FWIW, Diana Walstad now uses aquarium rather than potting soil, and she wrote the book on it.

(She now writes cookbooks too)

buz2au

buz2au
Oct 12, 2005
OK just did a 50% WC and got nitrate 20ppm will see what happens in the next 12 - 24 hours.

TTA
1 - done weeks ago
2 - plants arrive tomorrow & will be planted Saturday
3 - co2 being setup now - have 2 bubbles / sec, aiming for about 20-25ppm
4 - was going to wait till I see the start of new growth before adding fertilizers - going to use PPS system tank will be high light with co2 injected
5 - may get some store bought bacteria to kick the cycle along (do they work ?)
6 - fish stocking will be on the low side when fully stocked - 3/5 ottos, 10/15 red cheery shrimp & 20/25 neons, build up will be spaced out over a month or so

Apr 2, 2002
New York
There is no need for store bought bacteria in this situation. It is a waste of money, But if you are determined to get some, then choose either Dr. Tim's One and Only or Tetra SafeStart Plus.

The best filtration one can have in a tank is a well planted substrate. Unless one takes steps to kill the bacteria living on the plants, you will get all you need on the plants.

You are actually doing a silent cycle. As soon as the plants are settled in, they will be your primary filter. Were you intending to do a lower light more lightly planted tank, cycling might be an issue, it is not in your case.

The set-up you describe is not for folks somewhat new to planted tanks. High light, pressurized co2 added tanks are a lot more complicated to maintain in a stable fashion.

Schooling fish, such as neons, school as a defensive behavior. If there is no perceived threat, they meander. I used a few true SAE for this. They are big enough that the neons school but the SAE are algae eaters and will never harm the tetras. There are plenty of other fish that can act as "school herders."

buz2au

buz2au
Oct 12, 2005
Thanks for the info TTA

A silent cycle fits the bill, its about what I did with my tanks 15-25 years ago (just didn't know what to call it). OK no store bought bacteria, I had high light & co2 planted tanks back then but still need a refresher course on them, come to think of it back then I used SAE as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store