high nitrite&hitrate no ammonia HELP HELP HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buleetu

May 13, 2006
dublin ireland
hi every one,im new to the hobby ive had my tank cycling for 3 weeks now i had ammonia peak about 5 days ago,i was testing nitrite every day threw the cycle,it steadily rose and rose,yesterday i tested for nitrate for the first time and i got the highest reading on my test kit,110,i also have the highest nitrite level ever but alas no ammonia,HELP what will i do :confused:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
No ammonia is a good thing, means you're partway through the cycle. I'd do a water change at this point if there's anything living in the tank (hitchhikers on your LR for example) and you want to preserve it. Have patience, the nitrite will go down and you'll see only nitrate. Then it's up to you (and possibly anaerobic bacteria or macroalgae depending on your setup) to remove the nitrates.

buleetu

May 13, 2006
dublin ireland
thanks for ur advice

hi thatnks for ur reply, i got some live rock yesterday,i was told not to put it in until near the end of the cycle,i tested this morning for nitrite nitrate and ammonia and i got the same results as yesterday,im going to do a water change now,ill test again tomorrow after noon and ill let u know,again many tanks :bowing:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Live rock dieoff will cause the tank to cycle, it's what starts everything off... do you have fish in the tank? If not, I'm not sure where the ammonia came from. Where have you got the rock stored while you're waiting for the cycle to end? If it's dry, it may be ruined and I'd be pretty unhappy with the person who told you to leave it out and wait. If it's in a container wet/damp and still live, and the tank is empty, I'd get it in the tank ASAP; let the tank cycle WITH the rock, and do all sorts of research before you add any life to the tank - sounds like your LFS might be giving you questionable advice, so I wouldn't rely on them to suggest appropriate livestock for your tank.

buleetu

May 13, 2006
dublin ireland
i got ammonia from a bottle

i was told in my lfs to go and get some ammonia,i bought some in a chemists down the road,its says9% ammonia on the label,so i added 20 mls the first day and 10 mls there after,i done this for 2 weeks,i tested every day for the 3 weeks after until the other day when i started to test for nitrate too,now im testing the 3 of them,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate,my results today were as follows:amm 0.1mg/l nitrite 6.3mg/l nitrate 110mg/l,i dont know if i should be using that brand of tests because all the research ive done on the net refers to ppm.

do u suggest testing for any thing else at this stage,i know i should be testing ph and dissolved oxygen and maybe calcium,im just going to be keeping fish for now until i gain some experiance.

i bought some more lr today,altogether i have 8 1/2 lbs,i have it all in the tank,they cured it in the lfs,its being sitting in there rock tank for the last 3 months,so i hope its cured by now,will it need to settle into my tank too?

what do u think is the ideal temp for cycling the tank?
1 power head or 2?
i have so many questions?
my lfs is really bad at giving advice,the people there seem to be all students who work part time,and dont really care about the animals they are supposed to be caring for,one of them seems to know her stuff but she is hardly ever there,so ur my onl hope at the moment,haha

thanks blinky ur the best,
p.s. i had a look at ur pics,the gobies that built the big cave are kool :dive2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store