Hillstream or Butterfly loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Need info on them before they die of hunger....They stick to the glass near filter outlets which explains the live in rivers hence the name,i need help on temp and commercial food for these loaches.

They look like this.

Last edited:

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I just read an article on these guys in one of the fish magazines yesterday at Barnes and nobles. It tells you those requirements as well as to breed them I think? check it out. I do recall someone had a picture of a tank they had that had a water pump "blowing" water at a rock structure just for those loaches. Im not sure about the requirements though. It might be worth your while to purchase that magazine if your really interested in them. Once again..I forget which magazine. There was 3 different ones. One was "saran wrapped" that "accidently" tore open when I was reading it :) could be that one or the other 2. Anyone else know which magazine?

keely

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
They're from cool well-oxygenated streams. 75 would be hot for them. They like to cling to smooth rocks or wood, should eat an array of bottom-feeder foods plus algae.

Do a google search, there's a ton of stuff about them.

mwood322

AC Members
Hi,

If you have the ones like the picture you showed (beaufortia sp), mine love frozen bloodworms, and sinking granules from Tetra.

They definitely need some current, though 75 isn't too high, as my tank can get to 80 in the summer and I didn't lose any fish to the heat.

Try this link. At the bottom of the page are some links to other sites about hillstreams. http://www.petresources.net/fish/article/hillstream.html

..edit...BTW the article is in Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine, November and December edition. The same articles can be found at loaches online, as the people who wrote them are recular posters on teh Loaches Online Forum.

--Mia

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store