HMF Mattenfilter - lots of pictures and FAQs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J?rg

AC Members
Jul 17, 2006
Innsbruck, Austrian Alps
You picked the one photo which shows, in my eyes, a too generous use of the filtermat. Usually, one tries to construct a quarter-circle, and the picture above looks more like an egg or ellipse. ;-)

I tried to do a calculation for some typical tank sizes, so you can see how much ground surface of a tank is used for a HMF (corner construction)

L W H are the lenght, width and height of the tank in [cm]
Area [cm2] is the surface area of the tank
Area HMF [cm2] classical construction : The recommended size of the mat according to calculations for HMF where the mat is a the left/right end of the tank, stretching from front to back.
radius mat [cm], the recommended radius for the mat, if built in a cornered way
area bent mat [cm2]: the surface area of the mat if constructed that way and stretching from ground to water surface. VERY close to the results two colums left
space req, for HMF [cm2]: how much area is used for the tank, when seen from above,
% of total space: how much of the total surface area of the tank is used by the tank

Interpretation:

In small tanks (like the 63 liters =17USG) a HMF in the cornered construction uses 1,1 % of the bottom area of this tank. This percentage increases with tank size.

What to learn of it: In small tanks you will have to build your HMF with a larger radius, otherwise a 5cm radius is too small to place a pump/heater behind and such a small radius bends the mat too much. In larger tanks (> 80Gals) it is recommendable to build two in each corner, preventing an all too large filter in one corner.

The area behind the mat: It's used usually for the heaters, the CO2 reactor, the pH-electrodes, a bag of peat for watertreatment. Usually no extra filtermaterial.

When you want to do you own calculations you will need the formula for the circumference and the area of a circle.

Hope that helps.

Jörg

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
any reason why, in a very tall or large tank, that you couldnt use two pumps and two outputs if you wanted to keep it to one corner?

J?rg

AC Members
Jul 17, 2006
Innsbruck, Austrian Alps
No, that's actually the setup i use in a 300 liter tank, a HMF in one corner, radius = 16cm (thats the 2nd tank in the example above) and two pumps (1 with 300liters/h , a 2nd with 350 l/h). one output goes diagonally, the other on the long side of the tank. But for optical reasons >>I<< would do it with two HMFs in >>that<< specific tank. Then there's the Dupla CO2 reactor in the filter chamber and no more space left.

Another reason for taking two pumps was a additional backup if one fails. And 300 liter/hr pumps are the most widely sold, hence 2 are cheaper than 1 with 600 ltr/hr. You have a wide range of products to choose from, any large manufacturer has them, like the Eheim compact series. (I like Eheim, i just don't need their canisters anymore!)

Jörg

Last edited:

wolf13

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
Now thats an interesting setup, I might give that a try on one of the tanks i am setting up. Any of you US guys know where to get the padding?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
seems like you could use any sort of filter padding, just try to find one with dimensions bigger than what you need and cut it down....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store