Holy Elephantnoses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Egyptians, ancient or otherwise, did not worship Mormyrid "elephant noses". This notion seems to be a combination of superficial information and wishful thinking. The dynastic era religions were complex. It was common in ancient Egypt to ritualistically preserve many creatures as part of that society's obsession with the afterlife. Very old Cat mummies, carefully wrapped and prepared, can be found by the thousands in many ancient burial sites in Egypt. All of them had their necks broken, and most were kittens. They were probably bred for sacrificial purposes, as tomb offerings. Fish fall into the same category.

Another thing: deification of fish is silly, as is attributing high levels of intelligence to them. Mormyrid big brains are almost certainly the result of specialized electrosensory function, not cognition. I am very fond of my two elephantnoses, but I don't think they are geniuses. It's true they can play chess, but I beat them 9 games out of 10.

Finally, I think self-appointed experts should work on developing a little humility. Individual differences among fish belonging the the same species can be remarkable. To brand as "WRONG" such things as the very real chemical sensitivities of most elephantnoses because some function in high nitrate situations makes no sense. Diet preferences are variable, age and experience related, and affected by a lots of other variables, many of which can only be guessed at. One of my elephantnoses eats only worms and brine shrimp, while the other enjoys burritos and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Lovely...Really. You're invited to speak at the next Common Sense Orators convention.

:)

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I am sorry to step in to disagree with you. Im not sure about the other egyption sects. However did you even attempt to READ the articles I posted? Everything I mentioned in my articles is correct about them.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1934&pagenumber=1

Reread the first page in the thread. I researched this intensively and found out that they did worship this fish.

"The fish was sacred: the Egyptians adored the Fish-God Mormyrus (cult centre -> Per-medjed); the Greek settlers after Alexander's conquest adopted the sacred animal alongside their own gods. Thus the Fish-God survived until the Arabian conquest"

"definition from www.dictionary.com
Sacred fish (Zo["o]l.), any one of numerous species of fresh-water African fishes of the family Mormyrid[ae]. Several large species inhabit the Nile and were considered sacred by the ancient Egyptians; especially Mormyrus oxyrhynchus"

"Did you know that some mormyrids were sacred to the Egyptians and were taboo as a food? Thousands of mummified mormyrids have been found, especially in the nome of Oxyrhyncus. This is the fish that swallowed the wizzer of Osiris when he was bobbited and it was thrown in the Nile..."

Check it yourself. Check it yourself. I don't make stuff up.

I don't have to.

NOW if you dont believe me, research yourself...

Ps. How big is your tank to handle 2 elephant noses? Sorry..they dont eat snacks and they cant play chess...If they beat you in one game...well then...that must show something about you???

Last edited:

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
well.. truth is truth. There are many sources backing up my information (as well as fish members on this board). RESPECT the power of the elephant nose :) or for your lack of faith you will be struck down! Infidel! :)

Ps.. why would you start another topic, when another was already started?

Last edited:

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Sorry JamisonB, but you are

WRONG.

Everything you posted is not correct. In fact, some of it is

WRONG.

I suggest you consult sources beyond the internet, if you want to explore Egyptian/Kemetic religous beliefs. The list of sacred items in the ancient Egyptian world is endless. For example, mummified cellphones were and still are adored.
The topic is too vast in any event, and has nothing to do with aquaria.

I started a new string because this string is about foolishness, not fish.

My first Enose is in a 46 gal. planted aquarium, with a couple of dozen tetras. Enose #2 is in its own 20 gal. tank. I stopped by my local shop two months ago, and saw a tank filled with Peterson's E noses. They were only $6, and I could not resist the one tiny guy, under 2 inches, that was being attacked by the other much larger Enoses, nasty brutes that they are. I put it in the 20 gal I use as an isolation tank, and it has prospered. I am teaching it calculus, and trying to break it of its addiction to chocolate.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I dont know how to respond to that??? Your saying Im wrong about the religion of the elephant nose..yet i have proof behind what im saying....and what do you have? Just words of air I think.

And all this mocking of the elephant nose from a guy that keeps one in a 20 gallon tank (way to small). Why do you fear this religion? do you have something to hide?
Please post your "proof" that the egyptians didnt worship them.

Dude, just open your DICTIONARY and look under "sacred fish". Your answer is there....

"considered sacred by the ancient Egyptians; especially Mormyrus oxyrhynchus"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store