Home Depot MV Fixtures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
The Iwasaki bulbs are really Mercury Vapour bulbs right? So I've seen the sites for DIY fixtures cheap for them. But thats still too hard for me. =)

Would I be able to use an Iwasaki bulb in a fixture from home depot if the wattages matched, and the fixture was meant as a mercury vapor security light or something similar?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
chances are if you find a 250 or 400 watt MV ballast at home depot theyd be charging alot of money for it, more than most online sources.

I have never heard of Home depot selling iwasaki bulbs, but alot of hydrophonic supply stores do. They commonly sell MH and MV ballasts for cheap as well.

Last edited:

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i am not the best with this.... but i have looked in home depot for MH stuff and they have the bulbs but i have NEVER seen ballasts and only got a blank look when i asked an "associate" about mogul bases.........

i was thinking of modifying a MV or HPS fixture but it just didnt seem feasable.........

good luck

I guess not than.

It just seemed like a simple way of doing it.

The funny thing is I read a hydroponic link one day and they were saying how it was cheaper to setup a metal halide fixture with iwasaki lamp by buying it from an aquarium online store than to get it at a hydroponics store

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
Be careful when dealing with hydroponics shops. Our government it notorious for monitoring these businesses to look for people who purchase products from these places. What they are looking for are people who are buying them for illegal purposes. It's a known fact that the cost of most hyroponics setup make very few growing businesses profitable. Growing orchids is one and growing pot is the other.

Man recently released in Atlanta, GA area who served 8 years of a 10 year sentence. His crime? Working in his brother's hydroponics business and selling legal merchandise. The government never proved any connection to the business and marijuana. But they used a very obscure law to convict this man, his brother(16 yr. sentence), and brother's wife(12 yrs.).

I love my country, it's the government I'm afraid of.

karfixer

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
So. Cal
Visit site
I was searching around Home Depot this week and found they sell a 175W MV "security" light. It comes complete for $26 :eek: If you want to step up to the "industrial" model.... $65 (same wattage). They are designed to be mounted over an external window, so they should be resistant to the elements. I'm just wondering about the spectrum :confused: I'm thinking to use one with some conventional flourecents for a big tank I'm planning right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store