Homicidal Lobster?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
It seems like I saw a nature show once that was featuring a body of water in Africa where a lot of cichlids come from. It talked about how they mainly hunted at night.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
If crayfish can get a fish, it will. And they'll be dead. Your ciclids will not be an exception.

If your ciclids get ahold of your cray right after a moult, it will. And it'll be dead.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I'd been wondering where some of my 1.5" shelldwellers were, and why they were dissapearing. Then I saw a tail sticking out of the mouth of one of my 3.5" angelfish. Get rid of the africans, I'd say.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Here's my best guess. The african cichlids were able to catch the harley (which are generally a little slower than a white cloud) and they killed it. The crayfish ate the remains, and that's why there isn't any trace. Crayfish can catch fish occasionally, but I don't think they could catch 4 or 5 small, schooling fish in what I think you're describing as a short time span. I doubt the cichlids would completely eat a harley, but they would gladly chase/kill/bite them. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
It really could have been your Africans, or the cray, or both.

I had a cray that was as peaceful as could be. Never once tried to eat a fish. My rope fish used to rest underneath it actually and the cray wouldn't care.

I've also had crays though that I have seen snapping at fish and even catching and eating fish.

All I and most people on here can recommend is do some more, in depth research. It wont take much time before you realize what you have in your tank.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I really think that the cichlids are killing the fish and the cray is eating them. I had a friend with a native tank and with darters and crayfish. One day, he added a small sunfish (species unknown). The sunfish slowly killed off most of the fish but the cray's would feast on the bodies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store