How Are Bloodworms for Feeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

polkadot

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I used it everyday or so! My plecos love it! But be sure to give it a well-balanced diet!

Hootchieman

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
Oct 22, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
I feed my fish a mix of bloodworm and frozen shrimp. The pleco gets an algae wafer as well but will chew on the shrimp as well. All of my other loaches (Clown, Yo-Yo, Skunk) love the bloodworm as well.

Wench

AC Members
Feb 25, 2002
Cleveland, NY
I also feed bloodworms maybe once or twice a week. They love it. I did read an interesting article in aquarium fish though last month. That bloodworms can cause an allergic reaction in fish and in humans. So not to sound like like your mother but wash your hands after handling them. Hey, thats what the book said. :)

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Blood worms are lower in protean than say, tubefex, and are harder to digest for some fish. If a fish stuffs itself with them there is a chance they will block the digestive system, which is obviously a problem. If you have a fish that is not eating they are quite tempting but I have stoped feading my fish blood worms

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
Thanks for all the replies. So I gather that it is basically fine so long as I give it sparingly, is that right?

I really still do give them sparingly but its just that I have been receiving not so good stuff recently.

Just a question, has anyone actually had first hand experience with a fish stuffing itself with this and dying? How were they saved, if ever?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store