How do fighting or mating Clown loaches act?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
I have 2 clown loaches, and I've had them for probably over 6 months. Just today I noticed them acting funny. They swim near each other, with their fins moving very fast, like they're vibrating, and if one gets too close, the other nips at it to get away, which I've seen all my other fish do at least once a day (without the vibrating, though.) then, sometimes, they will lock lips like they're kissing.
What I would like to know is are they fighting or mating?

If they are mating, how do you tell the different genders apart?

If they are fighting, why now? they've lived together for several months.

I am also posting this in the bottom feeders forum.

They specs in my tank haven't changed for at least three months.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Thanks!

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
sounds like they are just playing, or establishing a pecking order.

if you have a suitable tank I would get more they are great fish! and like to live in big shoals.

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
I've only heard of one successful captive mating of clown loaches, so I don't think they are mating! The guy had them in his bath tup and ran the shower since in the amazon it rains a lot. This got them to finally breed. So unless you're doing something like this, I don't think that's the case.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Yashin-
Just wondering where you got that story? I hardly believe someone had put their clown loachees in a bath tub to get them to mate. Seems like tap water from the shower would do some damage to the fish. Never heard of Clown Loaches being in the Amazon either.

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
clown loaches breed in the..uh..rainy season or whatever. mabey that why

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I was thinking the same thing, chefkeith ...Clowns are from Southeast Asia..(Borneo, Sumatra, Indonesia).
It is extremely rare for them to breed in the aquarium, but SE Asian farmers breed them by injecting them with hormones.

Last edited:

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
If they are fighting, why now? they've lived together for several months.

They are just fighting. If they are about the same size they'll probably do this every now and then. Why? They're probably just bored. What else are thy supposed to do in their free time? My Clown Loaches are usually peaceful, but sometimes my largest one gets challenged, so a fight breaks out. The largest one always seems grumpy. My male Tiger Barbs fight on a daily bases, so seeing my clowns go at it, is no big deal. Sometimes I have to quarantine a fish or 2 if they get hurt.

I have 6 Clown Loaches, they range from 2 to 3.5 inches long.

From what I've gathered, Clown Loaches will only mate when they are adults, thats when they're 10+ years old and 10+ inches in length.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store