How do fighting or mating clown loaches act?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
I have 2 clown loaches, and I've had them for probably over 6 months. Just today I noticed them acting funny. They swim near each other, with their fins moving very fast, like they're vibrating, and if one gets too close, the other nips at it to get away, which I've seen all my other fish do at least once a day (without the vibrating, though.) then, sometimes, they will lock lips like they're kissing.
What I would like to know is are they fighting or mating?

If they are mating, how do you tell the different genders apart?

If they are fighting, why now? they've lived together for several months.

I am also posting this in the general forum.

They specs in my tank haven't changed for at least three months.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Thanks!

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
I have 6 Clown Loaches, they range from 2 to 3 inches long.

They are just fighting. If they are about the same size they'll probably do this every now and then. Why? They're bored. What else are thy supposed to do in their free time? My Clown Loaches are usually peaceful, but sometimes my largest one gets challenged, so a fight breaks out. The largest one always seems grumpy. My male Tiger Barbs fight on a hourly basis. Sometimes I have to quarantine a fish or 2 if they get hurt.

From what I've gathered, Clown Loaches will only mate when they are adults, thats when they're 10+ years old and 10+ inches in length.

Last edited:

loachaholic

AC Members
chefkeith is right. Fish of similar size will spar for the title of "boss clown". Usually one of them (dominant) will grey out and the other (submissive) go so dark it's almost black. There will be much clicking, chasing and lip locking and you'll be sure that they are going to kill each other, but it's all bluff. Although clown loaches have weapons in the form of spines, they never use them on each other. You can diffuse this with a couple more clowns, but it will still happen.

As for sexing clowns, Baensch said there were differences in the caudal fins, but this has largely been disproven. Unfortunately the only really reliable way to tell is by autopsy.

I have clown loaches of all sizes, ranging from 4" to 12" and my oldest is at least 20 years old. Clowns have not been known to mate in captivity, although they are being bred with added hormones in a couple of places. Mine have never even tried that I know of. Durn it!

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
loachaholic,
Great information. Thankyou very much.

Any chance that you can post some pic's and tell us about your tank spec's? and How long you've kept your clowns? Good 1st hand, clown loach keeping info is so hard to find.

I'm thinking of building a 2nd clown loach tank and wondered if I should keep the tank shallow to increase surface area and filter rate or to build a deeper tank that would have more gallons of water. I was thinking water surface area and water/filter turnover would be the most important factor's in keeping loaches. Whats your opinion?

Last edited:

loachaholic

AC Members
Hi, Keith!

I have thirteen tanks, ranging from 10g to 180g. My big clown tank is the 180. I have ten clowns in there ranging from 4" to a foot long. I've had my oldest clown for 15 years, and that's not my oldest loach.

I find that my clowns really only demand a few things:

1. Very clean water/gravel with low DOC
2. Varied food, with some live or frozen included
3. Plenty of hiding places, and perhaps some dither fish
4. The company of their own kind - the more the better

They aren't particularly fussy about specific parameters, but prefer water on the soft, acid side. One thing they do love is current. I have two AC 501 powerheads in the tank, plus a big HOB.

They don't need deep water, so your idea of increasing the surface area is a good one. Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
loachlover, if your largest clown is named basil- then it was your tank that got me started with clowns. I am back up to nine but my favorites are 4 that I have in a planted 75. They range from about 4.5 to 7+ inches.

They do tussle for supremacy as described in this thread. I have watched a running battle for over 90 minutes and they never drew their switchbaleds.

I recently began feeding my fish live redworms. I have had my clowns take them from my hand. The discus in that tank will also do this.

The substrate in the 75 is a large sized gravel. the clown will excavate this one pebble at a time. They suck onto it, lift and toss it aside. They repeat this process digging inch + deep holes to grab even the smallest morsel. They also managed to transplant a piece of a crypt which is still growing months later.

As for breeding in captivity, this article is most interesting http://www.loaches.com/loachbreeding.html

loachaholic

AC Members
I know Basil!!!! He's in Bob Darnell's Loach Hilton.

Nope, that's not me, but the Hilton is a gorgeous tank and he and I have a lot of the same fish. I hear he's into hillstream loach breeding now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store