How do i fix this tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Tank is standing on end, but it has a 2" horizontal crack extending to the edge of the back glass panel right at the vertical seam. Normally I would drill it and patch w/ Bulkheads and silicone and we discussed replacing the entire panel, but DAMN that's a lot of work. Also considered patching both sides w/ a pane of glass and JB-Weld.

Thoughts? Ok, brainstorm away

STA_2569.JPG STB_2570.JPG STC_2571.JPG STD_2572.JPG STE_2573.JPG STF_2574.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Complete bust down to separate all panels...and replace both...pretty sloppy previous repairs on the inside it looks. New silicone does not stick to old.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
That chip is in the bottom panel at the end point of the crack in the other...that tank got dropped and hard. And that sloppy re-seal indicates a leaker before at one time.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
That chip is in the bottom panel at the end point of the crack in the other...that tank got dropped and hard. And that sloppy re-seal indicates a leaker before at one time.
guy I got it from had an alligator in it and it was only filled w/ 6" of water.....there's a plexiglass divder silicone into the middle for half land/half water. I should probably scrape off the old patch and check it out a little more in-depth, huh?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What size tank is it? 1 panel looks thicker than the other. I'm with Bob, both panels need replacing & the silicone looks bad...but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. If it's for a paludarium (sp?) you might get away with less drastic repairs but I wouldn't chance it unless it was an outdoor tank or someplace I didn't care if there was a major failure from small leak to glass breaking disaster

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
What size tank is it? 1 panel looks thicker than the other. I'm with Bob, both panels need replacing & the silicone looks bad...but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. If it's for a paludarium (sp?) you might get away with less drastic repairs but I wouldn't chance it unless it was an outdoor tank or someplace I didn't care if there was a major failure from small leak to glass breaking disaster
it's a 125g standard 72"L X 18"W X 23.5H"

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep. Corner cracks are tough to seal, replacing the panels is best. Sucks, since at that point it's almost cheaper to just get a new tank after you factor in the cost of the material and time.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Yep. Corner cracks are tough to seal, replacing the panels is best. Sucks, since at that point it's almost cheaper to just get a new tank after you factor in the cost of the material and time.
no other ways you can think off besides replacing it? If I could do a patch just to get a few years out of it, I would be cool with that. it doesn't have to be permanent.

Patch it, wait for it to re-crack and replace the panel when it really needs it, you know? What are the chances of a blow-out from something that size before noticing it getting bigger??

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I believe you will notice the increasing size of it by a wet floor......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store