How do I get driftwood ready for tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tattoo Dave

AC Members
Aug 8, 2016
Mattoon, Illinois
Real Name
Dave M Reynolds
Camera Used
Droid Charge Smartphone
Hello everyone hope your having a good day. I stopped and got a piece of driftwood for the small lake near by on my way home today and want to get it ready for my tank. I took it out of the water and it has algae on it so its been in the water for a little while. I know I need to clean it and make it safe for my tank but need advice on how best to do this. I would greatly appreciate some help. Thank you

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
How big is it? Boiling, baking and even a hot rinse in the dishwasher are good methods depending on the size and thickness of the wood.

Tattoo Dave

AC Members
Aug 8, 2016
Mattoon, Illinois
Real Name
Dave M Reynolds
Camera Used
Droid Charge Smartphone
How big is it? Boiling, baking and even a hot rinse in the dishwasher are good methods depending on the size and thickness of the wood.
It's only about 12 inches long and about 1 1/4-1 1/2 round I have a pan big enough to boil it. Do I need to do anything besides removing the algae growing on it and boiling it?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Maybe give it a little scrub but that's it. Boil it thoroughly though. Make sure there is no possible way anything could survive. :)

rudeboy

AC Members
Jul 26, 2015
Since L.a 's weather is hot I soaked them in 20 gal container n leave in the sun all day I used Salt n alil prime .I left out 2weeks n didn't bleed out to much.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Find out what sort of wood it is before you do anything.

The sap it leeches may be toxic to your livestock... In general hard woods are safe, soft are not.

There should be a sticky around here somewhere, but I am on my phone and it is too difficult to look right now.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Good point dougall!

rudeboy

AC Members
Jul 26, 2015
Way to cautious. I buy drift at $9.00 any day. Not once hv I heard anyone hvn a problem. Not being rude just being Real.Xlg pieces

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store