How do you care for your Mandarin fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptune555

AC Members
Nov 18, 2013
I started keeping saltwater fish tanks specifically to have a mandarin fish. I have had success with one mandarin fish who lived in my 50 gallon FOWLR for 3 - 4 years. Two other Mandarin fish did not live more then 2months. I want to try again but before I start I want to ensure I am providing an environment where he can definitely live.

55 Gallon bow front reef tank: Power Compacts / HOB filter / HOB coralife Skimmer / 50 pounds live rock / 20 pounds live sand / 2 power heads / 2 clown fish / yellow goby /

50 gallon planted Freshwater tank / soil substrate covered with river rocks / 2 HOB /

10 gallon hospital tank

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Lots of rock, lots of rubble for pods to reproduce in safely, let algae grow on the back wall to feed the pods, limit the other fish that will dine on pods. I had a pair of mandarins in a 120. The male started out in a 65 reef, then a 65 predator tank (moved when 'something' horrific happened in the reef that killed all other fish), then into the 120 reef. Did great, courted the female when she was added. Was in with a damsel, a yellow tang, and a bicolor angel. Have the tank well established, with lots of pod activity at night. If they're eating and get enough to feed on in the tank, mandarins are hardy.

Be very fussy about buying. Make sure the fish is eating--as in you see it, not you ask and the employee assures you it's taking prepared foods--and don't buy one that has a hollow tummy, even if it is eating. Patient shopping will go far.

Reactions: thoms_here

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Being able to maintain the copepod population is the main thing, even you get a ORA one that eats frozen I think they still need some pods in the diet, they're grazers that feed constantly a little bit of frozen once a day isn't enough. To best maintain a pod population you need a fuge with rock rubble and some macro's.

Reactions: thoms_here

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Put in a tank by itself, Lots of LR and keep buying pods for it.

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
Being able to maintain the copepod population is the main thing, even you get a ORA one that eats frozen I think they still need some pods in the diet, they're grazers that feed constantly a little bit of frozen once a day isn't enough. To best maintain a pod population you need a fuge with rock rubble and some macro's.
love the name lol. i had a 98 tl1000r but blew the motor after a mechanic adjusted my idle screw. it vibrated loose and made its way into my motor at about 145mph. going to get a new one soon hopefully. i sold the bike for $1000 even with a blown motor lol. people really want them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store