How do you clean a planted aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have a tank that is heavily planted and lightly stocked. The bio balance is such that I can go months without changing the filter. I change the media 3-4 times a year but do weekly water changes. There are times when I go longer between w/c's without harm but know the plants and fish need the replenishment of trace elements.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I typically vacuum over the sand areas that I haven't planted yet.

I vacuum over the planted areas too- but just lightly- I don't do the thorough stir and clean that I do in the unplanted areas.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I suck the crud out which collects around the dwarf sag, but other than that, no.

Nickatron86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have another question that kinda pertains to this. If you have a heavily planted aquarium (like the one I posted in this thread) would fish like plecos and corys have a hard time feeding from the bottom?

june2000

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Portland, OR
I have another question that kinda pertains to this. If you have a heavily planted aquarium (like the one I posted in this thread) would fish like plecos and corys have a hard time feeding from the bottom?
We made open space in the front middle part of tank and put algae wafer / shrimp pellet there and vacuum that open space only. Vacuum for this tank usually takes a minute. But we still do weekly water change of 40-50%.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
This thread makes me feel a little better about my water changes now!! I am finding it harder to gravel vac the tank, so just end up swirling the gravel vac around to pick up as much as possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store