How do you cull shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jutting1

AC Members
Dec 2, 2010
Does anyone have any advice on how to cull red cherry shrimp? I started out with 25 in a 29 gal and now have them coming out of my ears. I really need to pull some out but would prefer to remove only those that aren't so red. As my tank is heavily planted, there is no way I can chase down any specific shrimp. The easiest way I can think of to catch them is to put some food in a net, wait an hour and pull a bunch out. But I would still need to sift through them for keepers. Any thoughts?

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Cherry shrimp fetch a pretty good price right now, instead of just culling them, why not sell? Either way Mellowvision's suggestion will work to get them out.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Combine the above. Food in jar+1 hr, remove. Pour out onto a dinner plate or similar object to spread them out. Pick out the very best, reddest, cherriest shrimp you see in that group. It may be one, it may be a dozen, it may be none at all. This can be done with turkey baster or just waiting for them to get close to the rim of the plate, then use a spoon to flick out onto larger plate or into net. Return to tank to breed happily ever after.

Count the remainder, put in a pickle jar or something with an airstone. Post ad. Collect money. Bag with little sprig of plant clipping, and ship. Repeat as need for money or desire to thin population indicates.

Other people get starter shrimp and are happy. You get an improving population basis and are happy. All is right with the world. :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
collect and feed to the big fishies....

cakins

Shrimpaholic
Apr 30, 2011
Illinois
If you can't sell them, sometimes it's easier to take your time and separate out the good ones and drain the tank full of culls. Refill tank, cycle, and restart with better population.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store