how do you cut a hole in a clay pot right in the middle of the pot so that itdontcrak

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bottomdweller

AC Members
Feb 15, 2003
Chesapeake.Va
Visit site
I used a Dremel drill kit that my dad had.Worked good but if you dont have that you could try etching(sp?) a circle in the side with a screw driver and keep goin depper until you can chip off the peices to make the size you want.

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yeah, I am trying to get a clay pot coaster to use as a base myself. I was wondering about the hole thing, but that seems easy enough. But what is this I hear about "siliconing" it in place? How would I come across that and use it or so on... Meanwhile I'm using a skull to hold my plant down. But I want something more manuverable for my Oscars, they love to redecorate.

Bantam

AC Members
Aug 9, 2002
Lancaster, UK
Visit site
you should be able to get silicon from most lfs's. you use it pretty much like you would glue. i would think a clay pot would be quite sturdy without silicon but otherwise you can silicon it to a piece of slate or similar to keep it in place.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I had to make a hole in a clay pot for my mom a few months ago. I just got my drill that had the phillips head screwdriver bit on, and made the hole. Took a few minutes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store