HOW DO YOU PUT SNAILS FROM STORE BAG INTO TANK?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgood86

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Hello! I have a very silly question. If you buy snails and they are put in a bag of water to take home, how do you put the snails in the tank? Do you just acclimate them like fish? Reach in and pull them out? If they are suctioned to the bag just pull them off?

TIA

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I generally get a bucket with 2-3 inches of dechlorinated water at about the same temp as the tank, make sure the pH is the same as the tank, and add a piece of romaine lettuce or some cooked peas, something for them to snack on when they come out.
Open the bag, and just take out any snails that are already pulled into their shells. If they are stuck onto the bag, GENTLY pry them off with your fingers or an old credit card if they're really stuck. You don't want to tear the muscle that attaches them to their shell. When they pull away, put them in the bucket and leave them there for 10 minutes or so, let them adjust. Then transfer them to the tank. Easy.
That way they have a chance to recover in fresh, clean water without fish or other snails to bug them before they go in your tank.

mgood86

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Ok here's what I did: acclimated to the tank water by slowly adding the tank water to the bag while the bag floated in the tank water. I pulled them out by taking the ones that weren't sucked on the bag and putting them in a big plastic spoon with tank water and gently pryed not ripping off and putting in the spoon. I started to slowly put the spoon in the water and a few got pushed out and floated to the bottom while the others rode the spoon to be placed on the bottom (hex tank and arms too short to reach bottom). I have not seen one snail move around or come out of a shell since and it's been 24 hours. Any ideas? New at snails. Thanks.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
I just put them right in the tank with the plants
Then again, I didnt know I had any
lol

mgood86

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
:) just can't figure out why they aren't moving at all. I am a snail killer I think. I don't know. I will keep looking at them. Thanks

JonnyRelentless

AC Members
Sep 3, 2007
Sunrise, FL
Maybe they're sleeping. Tired after the trip?:huh:

mgood86

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
yeah I know...I just found they're all dead. I don't get it. Maybe the two swordtails are picking at them. I am getting really frustrated. The water params are good: a 0 n 0 nitrate 5 ph 7.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store