How do you sex Kribs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
I plan on getting some fish tommorow and I want to know how to sex kribs. Now the ones I will be getting are albino so I iddnt know if it would be harder to tell. Also can regular kribs and albinos mix. Id like to get 2 albinos and one regular. Thanx.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
The male is the more slender and thinner fish, possibly with longer finnage. The female will have a more fuller appearance, and a rounded belly. Both sexes can have the red coloration and eye spots.

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
check out the info at www.thekrib.com

at a glance, the males are(sometimes) bigger and their dorsal fin comes out to a point. the females dorsal is more rounded and the tail fin is also more rounded than the males. when breeding, the female will have a dark pink almost purple belly. my female is also a brighter yellow/gold along the top than my male.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Thanks alot guys for your replies. Ok I went out early this morning and I got some fish. All I could get were 2 albino cories. They didnt have the regular ones. Most all the ones in the tank looked alike so it was too hard to sex them. One of thems dorsal fin comes to a small point and the other ones is rounded. The one with point chases off the other one but they have been getting close to each other a few times but then that one with the point chases the other one off. Both of them have a round shaped tail. So do I have 2 males or 2 females? I plan on getting more fish later today so I am going to try and find a regular one. I llove these little guys so far though. They arent the least bit scared or skittesh like most people say they are. I will walk by the tank or stick my face up to it and they dont even flinch. They sure are cute little buggers. Thanx again!

jiggerpolebill

Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
i bought what i thought was a female one time but it turned out to be a male whose fins had been nipped down to a rounded shape. Melafix brought his finnage back beautifully. just a thought on what yours might be. in the 2 pairs ive kept, the hostility towards each other was between same sex.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Thanx for the link. I have noticed spots on alot of kribs. One of mine has 2 spots beside eachother(the less dominant one) and then the more aggressive one has like a yelloish line that cures some at the top of its tail but its not quite at the edge. Does these spots mean anything?

jiggerpolebill

Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
i dont think the spots mean anything. one of my females had a spot and the other didnt. spots can be on either sex i think. i read somewhere where people used to charge extra for spotted fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store