How fast Clown Loaches grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ave

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
I know they are slow growers. But anyways - I have 7 clowns about 2-3" long. Those, who have had them for a while - how big they'll be in a year for example

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
3-4"

Mar 29, 2007
Growth will depend greatly on tank size, water conditions, and feeding schedule. Posting these might help with a more accurate estimate.
as well as amount of water changes.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
My guys were about 1.5 - 2 inches when I got them and a year later they are 4 and 5 inches. So they should about double in size the 1st year IMO.

ckk125

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
While growth varies some, clown loaches should reach 4-5 inches in less than 2 years. Then they grow about a 1/2 to 2 inches every year after. One of my recent purchases has grown from 1.5 inches to 5 inches in six months. It is already fighting to be the alpha loach.
2 inches would be too much....after that point...their growth slows down dramatically..thats why its rare for them to reach beyond 10 inches in captivity.and explains why their price tag increases exponentially. :D

Last edited:

Ave

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
I bought my 7 loaches about 2 months ago and they are ca 7 cm long. haven't noticed any growth yet. I have 500 L tank, I have peat in filter, PH is ca 7,5 and GH 12 (not ideal, I know...). Lot's of caves and wood. No water flow unfortunately, except the one that comes from filter. I do water changes every week or every other week. What I'm worried about are the PH fluctuations due to water changes and also there is some grey dust flowing in my tank - why??? ( my tank is quite new - 5 months).
The loaches share the tank with 15 tiger barbs (very happy together, even schooling with them) and 6 blue gouramies.
I'm planning to take 1 red-tailed shark too. Is this a good idea?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store