how importartant is lighting on arowana

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
lighting shouldnt bother them, on my 450 with my silver arowana i had 6-6foot VHO reef bulbs that were running. i had capability up to 8 but it was way to bright for that fish.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Welcome!

I'm pretty sure lighting is a secondary thing for most fish. The only thing that matters is whether the fish is nocturnal or a day-swimmer. Since I'm almost certain arrowana are most active during daylight hours, any lighting that is in your tank should suit him just fine. This may not be the case if you have a strongly lighted plant setup, as this might get too warm or cause the fish vision discomfort, with it being a top-dweller. (Imagine a fish that looks "up" most of the time having to look at bright, bright light all day...)

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Another thing to note is that the fish have to have enought light to see their food, so if it's in a dimmly lit room, then you might have to have some flourescent lighting so it can eat, also lighting is more attractive and makes the display (and fish) easier to see and enjoy!

MrArapaima

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
LONDON
Visit site
Originally posted by redsilver
my silver has dark back, is this caused by over exposure to lighting? i only open the lights for 5 to 6 hrs daily and its just a flourescent light 10000k
IMO this is not caused by Lighting. Dark back is common to Silver Aro. Even some experts says that it's a sign of aggressiveness. I have Pearl Aro and my light is on 12 hrs a day.

That's a nice Aro you have there! How come it's Red? Is it your Light or gravel?

Last edited:

redsilver

AC Members
Feb 5, 2003
philippines
www.geocities.com
i've seen a lot of silver, they have silver all over their body...maybe there are silvers that have dark back...it looks like red bcoz of the lighting...thats why i call it redsilver :D :D

Last edited:

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
most silver arowana will have red or blue/green colors on the tips and between the scales and on the gill plates also the dark back is common as well as it ages. All those color variations will become more noticable with age and at times of aggression or fright. Feeding alot of krill or shrimp will really bring those colors out full time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store