How long could fish be kept in a bag?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
jennfier, good question. I think that before the bags are closed, they inject some pure O2 from a pressurized tank to insure that the fish has plenty of oxygen to breathe. However, this does nothing for the buildup of wastes. Maybe they add something like Ammo-lock to detoxify the ammonia :huh:

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
i know at my petsmart they add loads of the ammo lock/ stress coat to keep the ammoina from killing them
people always ask, and i know a girl that works there (she gives good info BTW, none of that inch/gallon or aquarium salt garbage, and she also tells people how big fish get etc.) and we joke around telling people its poison that only works after 15 days- right after the 14 day guarantee expires LOL

but then we tell the costomers that its just stress coat to help the fish survive the commute :D

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
plah831 said:
jennfier, good question. I think that before the bags are closed, they inject some pure O2 from a pressurized tank to insure that the fish has plenty of oxygen to breathe.
Actually, all air is squeezed out of the bags, and they are filled with pure O2

However, this does nothing for the buildup of wastes. Maybe they add something like Ammo-lock to detoxify the ammonia :huh:
Some shippers put a small packet of zeolite and/or activated carbon in the bottom of the bags.

However, as long as the fish are packed with pure O2 and are not too crowded, they are good for anywhere between 18-30 hours in the bags.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
vidiots said:
Wouldn't the bag just go thru a much more sever cycle of its own?
nope, the bacteria that eat the ammoina and nitrite would die off after all of the oxygen is gone, and it would be long gone before they would start to appear, as people already stated it takes 4-6 meeks at least to cycle, and why would you wan to keep you fish in the bags anyway?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store