how many gallons is my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brycemc

AC Members
Oct 21, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
hey. ive got a 3 foot x 18 inches x 14 inches tank. and i was wondering how big that is in gallons? seeing that everyone on this site uses gallons as the main measurement.
cheers

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
brycemc said:
hey. ive got a 3 foot x 18 inches x 14 inches tank. and i was wondering how big that is in gallons? seeing that everyone on this site uses gallons as the main measurement.
cheers

Right around 40.

Pretender

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Space Coast of Florida
As a quick approximation, I assume a gallon is a six-inch cube. (i.e., a cube that is 6 inches on each side, and not a six inch-cubed cube.)

Your aquarium is 6 x 3 x 2-1/3 6-inches, so is approximately 42 gallons.

Or, to be more exact, a gallon is 231 cubic inches.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
L x W x H (in inches)/ 231

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
To find out how much water you have, measure the inner part of your tank, so you'll discard the glass thickness. Do this with lenght and width. As for height, measure from the bottom to the water surface (not the border of the wall). You'll them multiply the 3 values and you'll get the almost exact amount of water you have. (Remember that gravel, filters, ornaments and fishes have their volume. You'll have to take this into consideration if you have too many things into your aquarium and you are planning on medicating).

If you do it in meters, multiply the value by 1000 and you'll get liters. (Divede by 3.785 to get gallons)

If you measure inches, divide the total by 231 and you'll get the gallons right away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store