How many snails/gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
I know this probably varies per species and other variables such as amount of water changes, filteration, etc. But I'm most interested in MTS and Ramshorn snails.

1) What is the general stocking limit for these snails per gallon. I currently have 5 Ramshorns in a 2.5 gallon but they laid eggs in 6-7 different parts of the tanks in the last 3-4 days. I've also found at least 10-15 baby snails (about 1mm in size) roaming around too.

2) I'm wondering if the snails will stop reproducing once a certain population is reached in a limited environment/ecosystem or do they continue to breed reguardless of the envirnment/ecosystem?

3) If I reduce the amount of food intake, would it reduce reproduction?

barbuto

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Fort Lee, NJ
1. Not sure

2. The more food there is, the more the snails will reproduce.

3. Yes, if the baby snails do not have a sufficient enough amount of food intake they will eventually die off. If you keep feeding under control, this will also keep population under control, to an extent.

FasterShrimpo

AC Members
Jul 13, 2009
1. Don't worry they produce very little bio-load.

2.They reproduce under almost tank environment.

3.Yes they will start to breed less. Unless you love these little buggers.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
if fed alot they will make a bio load,.. for rams anyhow,..
they will reproduce with food and will need water changes more than normal if left to get out of hand if you don't feed extra for them most will not over populate but careful of extra food,.. also might want to pick them out and destroy some to keep numbers under control

mts reproduce to avaliable food,..

as long as there is enough food they will breed no matter what amount is there they will just suffer bad shells etc,..

E's_Crab_Shack

Wasteland Messiah
May 11, 2009
You could siphone the smaller ones out when you do a water change/cleaning

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
1) What is the general stocking limit for these snails per gallon. I currently have 5 Ramshorns in a 2.5 gallon but they laid eggs in 6-7 different parts of the tanks in the last 3-4 days. I've also found at least 10-15 baby snails (about 1mm in size) roaming around too.
When it comes to MTS and ramshorns, there is no fixed rule for stocking guidelines. These snails will proliferate regardless of your attempts to stop them. A 2.5g can fit at least 20 though if you think you're up to doing more water changes otherwise the water conditions will deteriorate quickly.

2) I'm wondering if the snails will stop reproducing once a certain population is reached in a limited environment/ecosystem or do they continue to breed reguardless of the envirnment/ecosystem?
No, they will not stop producing. Only your food supply will influence the outcome. If possible, ditch the adults and raise the young ones. Maintain the number to a desired level although it may not be fixed but at least, there's a bracket guideline for you.

3) If I reduce the amount of food intake, would it reduce reproduction?
Yes.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
From my knowledge, most people feed 1 pellet per 10-20 shrimps. I feed about 1/4 or 1/5 of a pellet for all my snails and shrimp every other day. The size is about 1/4-1/5 of a grain of rice for all 4 shrimp and 5 snails. I also toss in various vegetable leaves about 1 square cm once a week.

Should I be reducing the amount I'm feeding to lower the reproduction rate slightly? I'm not looking to completely stop the population growth but maybe just stunt it slightly so its slower?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store