How Many Zebra Danios Could Go In A 10g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Zebra danios need a lot of space to move, they get quite spastic in a 10g. IMO, you need at least a 20L for them. They also should be kept in groups of at least 5 to prevent fin-nipping. Again, too much for a 10g.

Celestial pearl danios, on the other hand barely reach 1", you could have 8 easily. They prefer planted tanks.

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well, I would think 7-8 would be good, if you are not putting anyone else in the tank with them... maybe up to 10 maximum. They are really zippy little guys and like having some swim room =)

Have fun!

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
I have to agree with fishycat. Danios are mostly top swimming fish and like loooooong tanks to do their laps in. They like to "chase" each other and I feel a 10 gallong just isn't large enough to get a feel for their true nature.

SidtheMonkey

Hey, I'm really a woman.
Mar 26, 2010
Outside Seattle, WA
I'd agree with some of the others. Danios would like much more swimming room than a 10 g.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Just make sure you want zebra danios, they get a bit annoying after a while. Maybe some white clouds and a betta??

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well, everyone else on here is likely right... :uhoh:

I have danios, but they are in a 20 gallon, and they DO zip all over the place.. I've never actually tried them in 10 gallons.

I Do know they are much better if kept in a school of 5-6 or more.. but as for minimum swimming space.. well, I HAVE read that 10 gallons is the minimum tank size for Zebra Danios (http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-ZebraDanio.htm). But.. that is the minimum.. and a bigger tank would certainly be better..

Sorry if my advice was wrong!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I don't think that a 10 gallon is large enough for zebra danios, sorry. Microdanios, like celestial pearl danios or dwarf emeralds would work, as they are VERY small and not quite as zippy as their larger relatives.
Do you have any other small fish you like? Guppies, small tetras, shrimp, bettas, dwarf frogs and platies would all work.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Dwarf emerald eye tetras are beautiful fish, especially if you get the lighting right, you just need to watch not having other fish that can eat a 1" long fish. Could do some of those and a couple dwarf platy(they stay at barely over 1 1/4"), very cute fish, and hardy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store