How Much Activated Carbon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sawyer1206

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Angleton, Tx.
I am building my own filter system and I am trying to determine how much room to allow for the activated carbon. I have done some research and I have read you should use a tablespoon per gallon on one website and I've also read you should use as much as a 1/2 cup per gallon on another site.

Can someone help end my confusion?:huh:

jason2894

cichlids,cichlids,cichlids!!!!!!!!!
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
i only use activated carbon when i am trying to take something out of my water like meds. so IMHO carbon isnt really needed.

sawyer1206

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Angleton, Tx.
I have heard that you don't actually need to have the carbon, that it is more for removing toxins that may be present in the air that come in contact with the water. :read: But I also have read that the carbon is a critical part of Aquarium Filtration. A successful tank will have Mechanical, Biological and Chemical Filtration.

So, if I wanted to use Carbon I guess a 1/2 cup per Gallon is a bit much!:laugh:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I use 1 cup per gallon. But I am a fanatic about water quality, especially if your replenishment water has issues that are not desirable.

Most will tell you that water changes can do the same as using carbon, but that is only true if your replenishment water isn't causing your issues.

You also need to use a high grade of degassed, not phosphate washed, activated carbon. And change it very regularly, every 7-10 days at maximium.

balton777

Infrequent Member
May 30, 2006
Rowlett, TX
Real Name
Balton
Don't waste your money using carbon, it's completely unnecessary. I wish someone told me that the first couple of years I got into the hobby.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It is not completely unnecessary, in fact it provides very useful functions.

balton777

Infrequent Member
May 30, 2006
Rowlett, TX
Real Name
Balton
Sorry, I guess that statement was a bit extreme. I've gone 8 years without using carbon. As long as you're doing regular water changes and maintaining your filters, you don't need to waste your hard-earned money IMO.

livingword26

AC Members
Dec 5, 2006
Kansas, USA
www.aquariacentral.com
It is not completely unnecessary, in fact it provides very useful functions.
I am setting up my filtration for my new tank, and I would be interested in any specific information about carbon you would be willing to share. I am considering putting a layer in my new Eheim Ecco in place of some of the substrate, if it would really be profitable to do so. I don't imagine that the carbon pads really absorb much.

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Carbon pads are just pads laced with carbon powder. They will do the job fine. Ehiem is a very trustworthy name in canister filters. I personaly built a wet/dry from hand, and it only uses biological and mechanical filtration. If your tap water quality is bad (or watever water you plan on using for water changes) then i would invest in the carbon, and do about 1 square inch per gallon. If your tap water is acceptable, then i wouldnt worry about it in the least. It has its advantage, but it realy just would be a "saftey net" from not being responsible with your tank. e.g. making sure that your water is changed 10%-50% every week and so on. Removing the water is the best way to remove trace harmful chemicals. Also, after some time, the charcoal will have soaked up all the impurities it can handle, and will start releasing these tannins back into your water system. You have to change your carbon about once a month or so, depending on how bad your air polution or tap water polution is. If you dont live in an area with poor tap water, i wouldnt worry about having the charcoal. It's just one more thing that you dont realy need that can cause something to go wrong in the aquarium.

sawyer1206

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Angleton, Tx.
After a little more research I have discovered that this is a topic that has been going on for some time. :argue: I Guess it's really up to the individual to determine whether or not they will try the carbon and after experimenting if it does benefit their aquarium.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/greenfield%20straughan_activated%20carbon.html

After reading this article I have came to the conclusion that there is so many variables involved in getting the right type, quality, and amount of activated carbon it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. Not to mention if you do get lucky and get the right combination you then need to determine how often to change the Carbon.

Doesn't seem worth the hassle.....Just my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store