how much does a gallon weigh?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
how much does a gallon of water way, my mom is freaking out thinking the stand won't hold the tank. She won't get off my back until I prove her wrong (for the thousandth time).

auxout

CEO Nothing Inc.
Jan 16, 2003
NW Indiana
Visit site
One gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds, and each cubic foot of water weighs 62.4 pounds

thats freshwater, salt is a little more.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
The easiest rule of thumb when dealing with tank weight is that the average fish tank, gravel, stand, tank, and water, weighs about 10 to 12 lbs/gallon. Just take the size of your tank and add a zero to get a nice round number... This only applies to the "bare bones" type stands, heavier wooden or wrought iron stands would of course add more to the weight...

Just for an example, I've got a rather nice, heavy stand on my tank, and a really deep gravel bed, and my 55 gallon weighs about 650 lbs., stand and everything (had it weighed dry, and added the water weight for approx. 45 gallons of water). I wanted to make sure my floors would hold it at my new home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store