How to calibrate jager eheim heater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snupa

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
How do you calibrate a jager eheim heater. I can't get mine to work even tho I turn the red dial to calibrate it. Has anyone else been having problems like me or am i just an idiot :mad2:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Don't feel singled out, as it is a problem that most heaters have, not just Jager. I highly recommend a temperature controller to ensure better accuracy and as an extra failsafe (since the internal thermostat is not usually very reliable). This will save you headaches in the future and potentially save your entire tank. Once you've had a heater nuke your tank, it is hard to put faith in them, otherwise.

As far as controllers go, I highly recommend Ranco controllers. There is a bare, unwired version and a pre-wired version. They are easy to wire with the included diagram, but both options are available.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Someone locally just today had a heater fail... causing this to his small pico tank. 4 year old heaters are not wise to use. ;)

As far as the question, I use a digital thermometer to check the temp of the water. I never rely on what the heater is set to, it is always wrong, and more often wrong in the warmer direction, ie. 78 on the dial = 82 in the tank. I agree with Amphiprion though, for the safest method to control a heater I always hear the Ranco controllers are the absolute best for that purpose.

snupa

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
The replies did make me feel a lot better. I just can't seem to get the temperature below 80. Now it's set to 77 and its heating to 80 even after playing around with them for nearly an hour. Anyways for now I'm going to buy another thermometer to make sure the current one I have is accurate and adjust the heaters using the thermometers.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
They only heaters I will ever use are the Catalina Externally Controlled Titanium Heaters. The controller is on the plug, not the heater and I have never had one fail. They are more than the others but you get what you pay for..
Unless you can find them cheap on Ebay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store